Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight Replacement

Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Replacement

The OEM lights suck. What are peoples suggestions?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKPhoto
I went from stock bulbs to a standard, higher quality bulb replacement = moderatley better depending on brand selection
Then I went to HID = Huge improvement but useless in rainy poor conditions. Also, I felt it was unfair to other drivers (too much glare)
Recently upgraded to Truck-Lite LED and I couldn't be happier. Excellent light cut-off and lights up the road very well with a nice wide beam throw that lights up the ditches well
Old 04-27-2012, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

There are literally a thousand plus messages on here about that...

A lot depends on your budget

Starting from least to most expensive

sylvania ultra bulbs - around $50

IPF reflectors and bulbs from Highridge4x4.com - I think it was around $180 for everything

Truck Lite LED headlights - around $500

I am using the ipf's right now and I am pretty happy with them, nice thing with this choice is that a lot of the improvement is the reflectors, so you can go up from here by just changing out the bulbs

Matthew

Last edited by Matthewd5; 04-27-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Like they said, lots of options.

Simple bulb replacements are the most affordable, but yield "meh" non life changing results.

HID comes in as a mid-priced alternative to LED, actually about half the cost of LED. Incredibly brighter than factory. Kits range from $100 to $400. Our HellFire kit ships for $249.95.

JW Speaker and Truck-Lite make LED options, DOT approved and both very good (down right stunning) improvements over factory. Truck-Lite's newest model ships for $489.95. JW Speaker ships for $899.95.

However, one of those 2 D-Cell batteries from the .99 cent store is an improvement over OEM.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love my new truck lites. if the occasional distraction of a bright X doesn't bother you I'd say go that route
Old 04-27-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking to upgrade my headlights as well. Unlike most, I am not seeking the best and brightest bulbs available. Actually, I HATE all those dickheads with the super bright headlights that blind me while I drive. I don't want to be a hypocrite!

Can anyone recommend a replacement bulb that is a modest improvement over the stock bulbs? However, they are NOT blinding bright or bluish in color?? Essentially, I am looking to upgrade to simply an "average" headlight. Like what Jeep should have used in the first place.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I went with the IPF's. They are a good upgrade from stock, and don't cost a fortune
Old 04-27-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JVDBogart
I am looking to upgrade my headlights as well. Unlike most, I am not seeking the best and brightest bulbs available. Actually, I HATE all those dickheads with the super bright headlights that blind me while I drive. I don't want to be a hypocrite!

Can anyone recommend a replacement bulb that is a modest improvement over the stock bulbs? However, they are NOT blinding bright or bluish in color?? Essentially, I am looking to upgrade to simply an "average" headlight. Like what Jeep should have used in the first place.
Honestly, the ipf's aren't god awful hell fire on wheels

I've had no problems with mine and they are a nice moderate alternative

Matthew
Old 04-27-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Looks like IPFs are the option for me.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the info. Looks like IPFs are the option for me.
Call up David at north ridge and he will give you a square deal, he's built up a following amongst the users on here for a reason...

Matthew

Quick Reply: Headlight Replacement