Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

headlight / driving light modification help

Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight / driving light modification help

So I removed my stock bumper with the driving lights for an aftermarket bumper that does not have driving lights. I want to be able to use the control on the steering column to control a set of hella black magic 500's and I want to get some ideas on how to best go about this. The stock control lets you run the driving lights while you have your low beams on but shuts them off when you switch to your highs. Is there a way to reverse it so that the come on with your high beams instead or is there a way to use the control to just turn them on regardless of high or low beam? The second option is probably the one I would rather have. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Because the lights are computer controlled I don't think its possible for the fogs to be on with hi beams through the factory fog switch , SO i did mine like this .The lights on top my bumper turn on with high beam or a switch on dash , the fogs in the bumper are on/off with the factory fog switch .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	503589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	503590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark and John Pancake Rock cmp.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	503593  
Old 10-08-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SES12R
So I removed my stock bumper with the driving lights for an aftermarket bumper that does not have driving lights. I want to be able to use the control on the steering column to control a set of hella black magic 500's and I want to get some ideas on how to best go about this. The stock control lets you run the driving lights while you have your low beams on but shuts them off when you switch to your highs. Is there a way to reverse it so that the come on with your high beams instead or is there a way to use the control to just turn them on regardless of high or low beam? The second option is probably the one I would rather have. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
You might give Susquehanna MotorSports a shout. I bought one of their harnesses to prevent headlight flicker with my JW Speakers. Not exactly sure how it integrates into the CanBus but it draws power straight from the battery. With that said, I saw that they had a option to add driving lights to the harness. The part number is HL28130JD. I'm not sure if it is what you need or not but it might be worth checking into. From what I understand they can make custom harnesses for about anything. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys for the help. I think this is the way I want to run them.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can always just run a realy triggered off one of the high beam power wires.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have my Hella hids triggered through a relay with my high beam but also on a switch. My 100w hella fogs are triggered through a relay on my stock fog lights again through a switch.

All my lighting is controlled on my factory a switch.

Quick Reply: headlight / driving light modification help