Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Head unit upgrade, worry about rain?

Old 08-31-2019, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head unit upgrade, worry about rain?

I have a 2013 jku moab and the nav went out on my stock head unit. I am looking into options to upgrade...I like the idea of a nicer head double din unit with all the bells and whistles but I'm worried about ruining it by having the top off. I try to keep the doors and top off as much as possible so rain an dew will happen from time to time. What do you guys think? Would you hold off on dropping too much coin on a head unit with fear of ruining it with the elements?

*cliffs notes*
-thinking new head unit
-should I worry about rain/dew?
Old 08-31-2019, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

It’s pretty hard to find a water proof car radio. Have you looked int marine units?
Old 08-31-2019, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LC Boyer
It’s pretty hard to find a water proof car radio. Have you looked int marine units?
I understand that and I also know that marine units are an option. What I am wondering is if the guys running the nice double din/nav/dvd/HD... kenwood, alpine, pioneer units are concerned with rain and dew.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a Kenwood single DIN in my TJ. I’ve never let it get wet. My experience with water and electronics is they don’t mesh
Old 09-03-2019, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran a marine single din in my '80 CJ7 because that thing leaked like a sieve even with a brand new top. The humidity would kill radios and amps. Just the pooled water would make it a sauna inside.

On my TJ's and my new (to me) JK I've run double DIN regular stereos without issue because they are dry even after heavy rain. I always had the fancy ones with NAV and fancy amps.

I did notice that on my JK the angle of the screen is lays back a few degrees so with the top down the sun glare makes it VERY hard to see the screen. I bought one of these sun shades for like $12.00 and didn't notice until I installed it that it has a soft rubber/latex lip on the back that seals it off from rain. So even if it does rain there's about 3" of overhang keeping the drops off of it.

If you were paranoid you could run a bead of clear silicone under the lip to absolutely guarantee water will run off the sides and not sneak down to the screen.

It's a win-win and it's cheap. Doesn't block the view of the screen, lets you see the screen in direct sunlight with the top off, and keeps your fancy stuff fancy.

Note that they make them in different widths. I chose to get the bigger one that encloses the entire radio cutout and dash kit, not just the stereo unit. I wanted any rain to not enter via the radio dash kit plastic.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by smshield28
I ran a marine single din in my '80 CJ7 because that thing leaked like a sieve even with a brand new top. The humidity would kill radios and amps. Just the pooled water would make it a sauna inside.

On my TJ's and my new (to me) JK I've run double DIN regular stereos without issue because they are dry even after heavy rain. I always had the fancy ones with NAV and fancy amps.

I did notice that on my JK the angle of the screen is lays back a few degrees so with the top down the sun glare makes it VERY hard to see the screen. I bought one of these sun shades for like $12.00 and didn't notice until I installed it that it has a soft rubber/latex lip on the back that seals it off from rain. So even if it does rain there's about 3" of overhang keeping the drops off of it.

If you were paranoid you could run a bead of clear silicone under the lip to absolutely guarantee water will run off the sides and not sneak down to the screen.

It's a win-win and it's cheap. Doesn't block the view of the screen, lets you see the screen in direct sunlight with the top off, and keeps your fancy stuff fancy.

Note that they make them in different widths. I chose to get the bigger one that encloses the entire radio cutout and dash kit, not just the stereo unit. I wanted any rain to not enter via the radio dash kit plastic.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much! This is the kind of first hand experience I was looking for!
Old 09-14-2019, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

I just picked up an Insane Audio head. It boasts an IP66 rating. We shall see. I drive mostly top and doorless in San Diego. I’m in the process of research a marine amp with the same IP66 rating to replace a recently fried stock infinity amp (that has been discontinued as of 2017).
Old 09-14-2019, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by slowpoke13
I just picked up an Insane Audio head. It boasts an IP66 rating. We shall see. I drive mostly top and doorless in San Diego. I’m in the process of research a marine amp with the same IP66 rating to replace a recently fried stock infinity amp (that has been discontinued as of 2017).
What Alpine unit is it?

Quick Reply: Head unit upgrade, worry about rain?