Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Having problem with my jk e-power

Old 09-12-2007, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Having problem with my jk e-power

Hello guys, I have installed 4 warn lights with the 2 stck fog lights, power plant winch, 6 spekers, 2 subwoofers, 2 amplifiers, capacitor for the sound system and rancho remote control for the shocks. My question is what shall I do to prevent my battery from draining? I was thinking to install another battery but I Realized that there is no enough space to indtall another one. I dont know what shall I do. Give Ideas please guys. Thanks
Old 09-12-2007, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Get a yellow top Optima battery. They run about 150 - 200 depending where you get it. You won't have any problems. Or if they make aftermarket ones yet. You could replace your alternator. I'd go with the optima though.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FunN4Lo
Get a yellow top Optima battery. They run about 150 - 200 depending where you get it. You won't have any problems. Or if they make aftermarket ones yet. You could replace your alternator. I'd go with the optima though.
I also recommend the Yellow Top Optima, but I don't know about upgrading the Alternator. If I remember correctly (and if I don't someone here will certainly correct me..) the stock Alternator is a 160 amp unit. As automotive alternators go that is pretty high amperage. While there are higher rated ones out there they aren't cheap and may not be all that easy to integrate into our computer controlled JKs.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Ohhh thanks guys but what about having two batteries with an isolator. I dont know.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There aren't any kits that I've seen yet, but I'd say a two battery system would be your best bet with an isolator as you suggested.

Be the first to put one together! You can use a kit for a TJ, the only thing that isn't going to work is the tray probably. Need to find a place to remount the batteries.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Khalid
Hello guys, I have installed 4 warn lights with the 2 stck fog lights, power plant winch, 6 spekers, 2 subwoofers, 2 amplifiers, capacitor for the sound system and rancho remote control for the shocks. My question is what shall I do to prevent my battery from draining? I was thinking to install another battery but I Realized that there is no enough space to indtall another one. I dont know what shall I do. Give Ideas please guys. Thanks
If your battery is draining with the car on, adding another battery really wont help. It's more of a band-aid for a bigger problem. While, a second battery will provide you with temporary power, it adds more of a load to the alternator, and just makes more problems.

If your battery is draining, with the jeep running, you'll need to upgrade the alternator, or run dual alternators. In my opinion, the only reason to get a second battery would be if you wanted to listen to music, or shine your lights, while the engine is off.

Otherwise, unless you're a crazy off-roader, there's really no need for a second battery. The stock system is pretty stout, so unless you're running the winch, trying to get out of a ditch with all of your lights on, and your subs blaring full power, and the jeep off, you shouldn't need to do anything.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
There aren't any kits that I've seen yet, but I'd say a two battery system would be your best bet with an isolator as you suggested.

Be the first to put one together! You can use a kit for a TJ, the only thing that isn't going to work is the tray probably. Need to find a place to remount the batteries.
BTW, If you can find room for 2 subs, I'm sure you can find room in the back for a battery....
Old 09-15-2007, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayland1985
BTW, If you can find room for 2 subs, I'm sure you can find room in the back for a battery....
I dont think there is room for another battery... However, I can install the other one in the cargo area, would be this a good idea or..!!!!???

Quick Reply: Having problem with my jk e-power