Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Harman/Kardon Drive + Play™ Ipod Integration

Old 09-08-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harman/Kardon Drive + Play™ Ipod Integration

Yesterday i installed this device called Harman/Kardon Drive + Play.

Below are pictures of how it turned out installed. I did not have my camera for the install but I can tell you it was the easiest install I have done for an ipod intregration. Some of the wires are visible for about one inch.

As you can tell my the pictures, I routed all the wires behind the faceplate covers of the radio down to the Sway bar switches to the glove box. Eventually i will fix the clutter of wires.

I just wanted to throw this out there for everyone to see, and give you an option that I am 100% happy with. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me

Old 09-10-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

70 views, but no comments?
Anyone like it/hate it?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's a cool idea, and a nice looking system. Looks like you did a good install.

But really it's not my cup o' joe. I'd prefer to have it integrated into the head unit rather than have wires, stalks, remotes, displays, black boxes, etc. strewn about my rig.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has one of these hardwired into her Liberty and it works well. We have it through the FM radio with a hardwire tying it into the radio antenna. If I had it to do over again on that vehicle I would do it with the Mopar harness. I have looked at the new version of this for my JK, but I think I will get the kit from Mopar that includes the stuff you need for blue tooth.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

i agree with ya sickchilly, but the factory head unit just wasnt big enough text for me. this way i can see a couple lines at once, and its only $80.

it just comes down to your personal prefference, i just wanted to throw it out there for people to see it installed and give them another option.

Littlejon, whats nice about this system is that you can add cell phone capability to it.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by factorysponcered
Littlejon, whats nice about this system is that you can add cell phone capability to it.
That is only an option on the Drive & Play II which is about $300 I think (unless they changed the Drive and Play I in the past year or two.) For $300 you can get the Mopar Uconnect kit with the Ipod integration thing so that it all looks stock. I think the Mopar kit is relatively new, but I think that will be the way I will go.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

on the version i have they is an extra AUX input into it, which the manuel says you can put a cell phone through it, i have not done to much research on it yet.

i didnt want to pay for the mopar one due to i dont use my ipod all that much.
i have Serius, and XM so im covered when out at dumont or moab
Old 09-10-2008, 12:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by factorysponcered
on the version i have they is an extra AUX input into it, which the manuel says you can put a cell phone through it, i have not done to much research on it yet.

i didnt want to pay for the mopar one due to i dont use my ipod all that much.
i have Serius, and XM so im covered when out at dumont or moab
I have been thinking about buying the $10 aux cable for my Ipod, but I am having a hard time since with the Sirius radio I don't think I would really use it anymore. If I ever decide I need the Uconnect then I will get it at that time, but so far Iowa doesn't require a hands free device.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

with the aux cable, the ipod doesnt charge. thats what sux.

so far in nevada they dont either

Quick Reply: Harman/Kardon Drive + Play™ Ipod Integration