Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Hardtop wiring harness jumper question

Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop wiring harness jumper question

Does anyone know how to jumper the hardtop wiring harness so that the stereo isn't quieter when the hardtop is removed?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Huh???

Turn the round knob thingy all the way to the right....
Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think i know what you're talking about. I don't have the wiring harness for the hardtop, but when it's plugged in the stereo isn't as powerful. I'm not sure if it's something built into the Jeep's computer system, or it may just be power draw going to the rear wiper motor and defrost mechanism. I also notice this when i take the doors off, my sub gets stronger. So it may not be that the harness itself makes the stereo quieter, but the fact that the power draw takes power away from the stereo itself. Just a thought.

If not, you can just starting cutting stuff.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
I think i know what you're talking about. I don't have the wiring harness for the hardtop, but when it's plugged in the stereo isn't as powerful. I'm not sure if it's something built into the Jeep's computer system, or it may just be power draw going to the rear wiper motor and defrost mechanism. I also notice this when i take the doors off, my sub gets stronger. So it may not be that the harness itself makes the stereo quieter, but the fact that the power draw takes power away from the stereo itself. Just a thought.

If not, you can just starting cutting stuff.
It's completely opposite of what you're saying. I figured it out though, you have to jumper the ground to the purple/white wire

Last edited by Ken Jong Il; 10-23-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Huh???

Turn the round knob thingy all the way to the right....
...thanks douche
Old 10-23-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

Is this by design...and why?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedJK2
Is this by design...and why?
I'm not exactly sure why they did it. I never realized it until one day I forgot to hook up the harness to my hardtop and I connected it while my stereo was on and I heard the stereo sound change. It goes from a flat sound to a fuller sound. I think they figured that it would be better to tone down the stereo while the top is off so that you don't disturb people at stop lights
Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ken Jong Il
I'm not exactly sure why they did it. I never realized it until one day I forgot to hook up the harness to my hardtop and I connected it while my stereo was on and I heard the stereo sound change. It goes from a flat sound to a fuller sound. I think they figured that it would be better to tone down the stereo while the top is off so that you don't disturb people at stop lights
Who cares about people at stop lights lol...they are at a stop light...nothing bad is going to happen except for grandma who doesnt go when the light changes green , but yes they put it in to prevent "noise pollution".
Old 10-24-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

It just seems to me that it would be exactly the opposite, since it's a lot more noisy while driving with the hardtop off.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedJK2
It just seems to me that it would be exactly the opposite, since it's a lot more noisy while driving with the hardtop off.
You would think

Quick Reply: Hardtop wiring harness jumper question