Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Hands free phone

Old 02-12-2007, 04:23 PM
HEK
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hands free phone

Short of using an ear piece with Bluetooth link what are other options, I've seen the Parrot clip that hooks on your visor and can be used with your is Bluetooth phone.
I was originally hoping to buy a Garmin GPS Bluetooth ready but I'm not sure if paying $900 for a unit is worth the money...anyone have a better solution?..
Thanks

Last edited by HEK; 02-12-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:43 AM
HEK
JK Freak

46 views not one reply, I can't believe were are using the phone and driving at the same time....
Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HEK
46 views not one reply, I can't believe were are using the phone and driving at the same time....
I was thinking about this yesterday (watch out!) and wondered if you could plug a cell phone into the AUX jack to get the sound and figure out from there a solution to the microphone.

There is probably a prebuilt wire that has the two connections on one plug end (for earphone and mic) and is split into two plugs each on the other end. With that you could attach a mic pretty much anywhere you wanted and plug the earphone end into the AUX jack on the stereo.

Then you should be able to the voice activated feature of the phone. It's no U-Connect, but it could work.

Any other ideas on this?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:47 AM
JK Jedi Master

I use a blue tooth ear piece. I really wanted the U-Connect option though.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a jawbone bluetooth, so far I really like it. Its too nasty out to pull the roof off and test but they say it can be used in a convertible.
Steve
Old 02-14-2007, 05:52 AM
HEK
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cruiser
I just got a jawbone bluetooth, so far I really like it. Its too nasty out to pull the roof off and test but they say it can be used in a convertible.
Steve
How much did you spend on that unit and would you recommend it...was it purchased online?....I'm thinking of a unit sold at Quadratec called Parrot but can't find any feed back on it.

Thanks

Hek
Old 02-15-2007, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an earpiece. It fits mostly behind my ear with alittle boom that extends forward under my ear and a piece that goes into my ear. Works in the far, on the motorcycle, and whatever.

If I'm placing a call, I stop and do so. However, I'll answer a call on the move and then pull over if I need to deal with something. I've been using a Ham radio for years, so I'm used to "Drive First" thinking. Surprisingly, you never heard the accident issues with HAM radios like you do with cell phones. Wonder why? Perhaps the people who can't talk and drive could never pass the Ham test.

Who nows.

As for in-car handsfree.... I rigged up a boom mike and a push to talk button in my YJ so that I could communicate on my Ham while driving my CJ and keep my hands on the wheel and shifter. (PTT was on the shifter) Worked well, but with the top off and any speed over 30, too much wind noise.

Speaking of wind. Do the new JKs have the same "wind suck" that the earlier Jeeps have? I'm talking about that breeze from the back that sends the tire spray into the back of your head on wet roads.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Rubicon Martin

Any MP3 Playing phone with a Standard Mini Headphone Jack will work if plugged into an aux jack. I carry the Sony W810 Walkman Phone with the 2 Mpix Camera and the 4Gb Memory Card. Nice thing about this phone is you can store 4Gb of Music and you only need to purchase one accessory, under $5.00 anywhere.
This is because of the Standard Earbud design by Sony - They are in two pieces.
The main piece plugs into the phone with the male end and the female end accepts any head phone with a mini jack that you wish to use because - this is the sweet part - the Microphone is encapsulated in the female end. The $5.00 part you need is a Dual Male Ended Mini Stereo Connector. You trick your Phone into believing your Head Unit is a Set of Headphones. When the Phone rings? You just push the answer button and talk, you hear them through the Stereo and They hear you through the Sensitive Microphone plug between your Phone and Head Unit.
Another Bonus - The Phone is iTunes Compatible so if you Purchase a Quality Head Unit like the Clarion MAX675VD instead of the problematic My GIG from Jeep, you can use the iPod Controller interface. Add a Navigation HDD 30 Gb System from Clarion and you are good to go.
Here is the Best Part - The Clarion Head Unit and Clarion 30 Gb HDD Navigation can be bought as a Package Online for under $1500.00 Cdn (The My GIG Option is $1700.00 Cdn), Phone was free with my Service Package including the 4Gb Memory card, and even though the phone has Bluetooth Option I don't have to Spend Any Funds for a Car Bluetooth Kit because my phone is plugged directly to the Head Unit. This is the Set-Up I am going with and It leaves me with a Couple Hundred Dollars to use as I want - Towards a Roof Mounted Flip Down Screen.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Do you mean the ear jack plug that comes with your cell phone? then buy another type : dual male ended mini stereo connector for $5? is this the standard earbud by sony?I have blue tooth ear peice already. Should I get a kit for it instead? Thanks in advance
Old 02-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by benmar2000
Yeah.. The U-Connect would be nice.. I have these 2 buttons on the stereo that are worthless...

Ben
I told my "touch happy" kidlet that the two little buttons where passenger side ejection seat actuators. One for arm, one for "fire" i couldnt recall which was which.

She doesnt touch stuff in it much anymore.

Quick Reply: Hands free phone