Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Halogen vs led

Old 03-03-2015, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lens is everything... If you're replacing headlights be sure to use a QUALITY projector... Also the color temperature(K) will affect output... Generally the the higher the K the lower the output, but I'm not entirely certain of the stats... One could argue LED vs HID, but unless the experiment uses the EXACT lens and housing you can't really say one is better than the other
Old 03-03-2015, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Skidmarcx
The lens is everything... If you're replacing headlights be sure to use a QUALITY projector... Also the color temperature(K) will affect output... Generally the the higher the K the lower the output, but I'm not entirely certain of the stats
So a 6000k bulb has a lower output then a 2000k bulb? I feel like it would be the other way?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kojack
I have had awesome results using hella 500 driving beam housings with 55w 4300k HIDs retrofitted in. whole setup is less than 200 bucks and worth every penny!
I forgot to ask do you have a night time picture of them on and the distance they shine?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by robbins84
So a 6000k bulb has a lower output then a 2000k bulb? I feel like it would be the other way?
Here is an article on Audizine... Not sure of the credibility, but you know the Euro guys are serious about their lighting

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ness-output%29
Old 03-03-2015, 08:37 PM
dog
JK Newbie

I did enough homework my friend.

As far as I am concerned. the 50" Rigid SPOT light bar should be comparable in beam pattern to my Hella driving lights, if its not, they should stop calling it a effing spot light. because it's obviously not. As for your comment about if the road is not perfect I should not be able to light up anything down range 1000m? Again, you have no idea what you're talking about as my lights at 1000m put out a fairly wide beam down that far. Wide enough to light up the overpass and hill behind the overpass while I am driving towards it. I think you are thinking lazer pointer. I used the eyeball test instead of any meters etc that are useless for testing real light useage. I hit my mileage reset button as soon as the overpass was visible to my eye and then clocked the mileage. 1km.....1000m was the distance. There are no other light sources and the moon was not out. It was a dark night, and that's the distance I measured off. My lights give me proper illumination from the front of my bumper on out to 1000m. Again, you have no idea what you are talking about with the comment if my lights light up that far they disturb my vision? NOPE, they work perfect, no massive hot spots, no dark spots, Just great light all the way out. I smell some Daniel stern theory here! Again I will say and stand by the statement LUMENS don't mean shit. You can have a light that puts out 1 million lumens, if it can use those effectively, then whats the point. Its sure bright to look at but totally useless as a light. And, again, LED BARS do not use their supposed lumens properly at all.....NO MATTER WHAT BAR. Vision X, rigid, Baja design, Chinese verisons. NONE can throw light down range worth a shit. Yep if you want a massive amount of light for 200 ft they are your light. If you want something to illuminate things a long way away like animals, etc that would be in your way or potential hazards then move on they are junk. HID or even halogen would work much better. LED lights are great for reverse lights, or marker lights that need to be seen. Also great for camp site or interior lights. For long distance lighting, NOPE. GO elsewhere.

The intensity light from ARB or the vision x light canon are the ONLY LED lights I would ever consider to install on my Jeep for driving in the night. But even then at almost a 1000 bucks a set, The performance per dollar is no where near what a HID will putout. I could go with a vision x 9" HID and it would completely out perform those 2 LED lights as well.
If there's one trend I've noticed in the Electical/Lighting/Sound forum, it's that Kojack will show up and start blasting LEDs That said, I agree with him on many points in this thread. If you want 1000yd illumination, an LED light bar is definitely not what you're looking for.

On the other hand, however, is that 1000yd illumination (IMHO) is not the most useful light, unless you're doing 100mph down a straight road, which Jeeps don't do (as a general rule). And, whether your light source is LED or HID or some freakin' candles, your reflectors and lenses are what matter, not the source. And throwing lumen output out the window is plain ridiculous . There are units of measurement for a reason. Same goes for HP or torque, it all depends on how you measure it! But those measurements are not totally useless, even though some companies abuse the scale.

What it comes down to is: what tool are you looking for? This is the most important question to ask that few people ask before searching for the right light. Different tools are best for different jobs. Most lighting that is useful in an off-road/crawling setting, for instance, dumps within 100 or 200yds. In that case, a light bar might be just right. It'll vomit light all over the damned place. A spot/flood combo LED bar is great for general purpose near-field lighting. You'll usually get a nice driving spot in the middle (NOT at 1 km, mind you, but within 500yds) as well as near-field flood to illuminate your front-surroundings.

If you want to get crazy with distance light projection, then the light-cannon spot or the Hella drivers might be perfect for you. Just remember that a spot pattern is useful for projecting light far away in a tight pattern. If that's what you're looking for, then great! If you want general-use near-field light, a spot is the wrong tool. Get a flood or a combo.

Just depends on what you're looking for!

EDIT: I was unnecessarily harsh and kind of a dick, meant things to come off a lot more lighthearted!

Last edited by dog; 03-04-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dog

If there's one trend I've noticed in the Electical/Lighting/Sound forum, it's that Kojack will show up and start shitting on anything LED related with nothing but anecdotal evidence. He likes to compare apples to oranges, and is prone to ignore the finer mathematical or scientific aspects of the discussion. All of that said, I agree with him on some points in this thread. If you want 1000yd illumination, an LED light bar is definitely not what you're looking for.

The bottom line, however, is that 1000yd illumination (IMHO) is not the most useful light, unless you're doing 100mph down a straight road, which Jeeps don't do (as a general rule). And, whether your light source is LED or HID or some freakin' candles, your reflectors and lenses are what matter, not the source. And throwing lumen output out the window is plain ridiculous . There are units of measurement for a reason. Same goes for HP or torque, it all depends on how you measure it! But those measurements are not totally useless, even though some companies abuse the scale.

What it comes down to is: what tool are you looking for? Different tools are best for different jobs. Most lighting that is useful in an off-road/crawling setting, for instance, dumps within 100 or 200yds. In that case, a light bar might be just right. It'll vomit light all over the damned place. A spot/flood combo LED bar is great for general purpose near-field lighting. You'll usually get a nice driving spot in the middle (NOT at 1 km, mind you, but within 500yds) as well as near-field flood to illuminate your front-surroundings.

If you want to get crazy with distance light projection, then the light-cannon spot or the Hella drivers might be perfect for you. Just remember that a spot pattern is useful for projecting light far away in a tight pattern. If that's what you're looking for, then great! If you want general-use near-field light, a spot is the wrong tool. Get a flood or a combo.

Just depends on what you're looking for!
This makes way to much sense. You obviously must be wrong and don't know what your talking about lol. You've had the best response on this thread so far
Old 03-03-2015, 11:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robbins84
The eye sensitivity to different colors has a lot to do with this. We're most sensitive to specific yellow and green lights.
The more blueish it gets, the less sensitive our eyes are to the light, so it's like we use a weaker light source. The same goes towards the red.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as I am concerned. the 50" Rigid SPOT light bar should be comparable in beam pattern to my Hella driving lights, if its not, they should stop calling it a effing spot light.
‘Spot’ is a loose term, and so is “Spot Light”. Some ‘spot lights’ are 10 degree or less, others may be 2 or 3 times more.
No way that a LED light bar, with the tiny reflectors on many not too strong LEDs, can compete with the optics of a true long-range spot light.

….. HID or even halogen would work much better. LED lights are great for reverse lights, or marker lights that need to be seen. Also great for camp site or interior lights. For long distance lighting, NOPE. GO elsewhere….
At 'elsewhere', there's a LED spot which is stronger than your HID...
A true LED spot light can perform like a HID spot light, or better, but it takes comparing apples to apples to see it.
This “apple”, for instance... :

Long range marine searchlight | XTRUDER LED Searchlight

Click image for larger version

Name:	xtruder LED spotlight.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	599618

With this LED light and a good X20 binocular on a tripod, you could count the bolts on that bridge.
So, it’s not that LED lights can’t compete with HID, it’s that the LED would be -- for the time being -- more expensive.

As for your comment about if the road is not perfect I should not be able to light up anything down range 1000m? Again, you have no idea what you're talking about as my lights at 1000m put out a fairly wide beam down that far.
I think I know what I’m talking about... Over a distance of 1000 meters, even a moderate curve would block the light:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Road Curve.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	599619

Again I will say and stand by the statement LUMENS don't mean shit. You can have a light that puts out 1 million lumens, if it can use those effectively, then whats the point.
Didn’t I say Lumen and reflector/lens?

Similar optics with more Lumen will emit more light…
Saying that “LUMENS don't mean shit” is like saying that engine power means nothing, only the gears count…
Lumen are just like the engines’ bhp/torque, then comes the gears choice for having more acceleration & less speed or vice versa.

Its sure bright to look at but totally useless as a light. And, again, LED BARS do not use their supposed lumens properly at all.....NO MATTER WHAT BAR. Vision X, rigid, Baja design, Chinese verisons. NONE can throw light down range worth a shit.
LED light bars were never meant to light up bridges from 1000 meters... but to shed light on trails, at the relatively slow offroad speeds -- which they do.
In fact, most such light bars give too much light to my liking... I don't like having to wait for my eyes to adjust to darker areas outside the light circle.

Last edited by GJeep; 03-04-2015 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
The eye sensitivity to different colors has a lot to do with this. We're most sensitive to specific yellow and green lights. The more blueish it gets, the less sensitive our eyes are to the light, so it's like we use a weaker light source. The same goes towards the red.
Thanks man all of this has been very helpful
Old 03-04-2015, 09:09 AM
dog
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GJeep
I don't like having to wait for my eyes to adjust to darker areas outside the light circle.
That's an excellent consideration if you want to remain alert and aware of your surroundings. I've never had the "luxury" of having to worry about too much light, haha.

Sounds to me like the only option is 4 light bars, one in each direction!

Quick Reply: Halogen vs led