Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Halo lights as DRL

Old 12-09-2019, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halo lights as DRL

Never had a Wrangler before, but I just purchased a used 2017 Rubicon Recon, so I guess I'm a 56 yo newbie. I'd like to purchase and install halo lights that will automatically come on as Daytime Running Lights (DRL). The headlights that are currently on the car (I think they are stock) don't come on as DRL. I've seen videos of owners running wires across the engine bay to the fuse box for DRL. I'd like to avoid doing that if there's a Super chip or an AEV ProCal module that will tell the computer to use the halo lights as DRL and when it gets dark, turn on the low beams. Any advice?
Old 12-10-2019, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Your best bet would be to do the Jscan app and configure your DRL's there. You'll have to buy a particular obd2 scanner but it opens the doors on other diagnostics and light tuning.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. This 2017 Rubi Recon is used and was probably super chipped (sticker on back window), but super chip module did not come with Jeep. I guess original owner still has it.

Back to Halo lights as DRL: I have not seen a YouTube how to video or read a description of the following:
After DRL are activated via OBD flash, how does one tell computer to use halo lights as DRL in daytime and then when it gets dark, turn on low beams with or without halos?

My 2014jeep grand Cherokee does this. DRL are the rectangle LEDs, then when it gets dark the low beams automatically come on. Surely a 2017 Rubi recon would also have this ability?
Old 12-11-2019, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The auto headlights are a feature, you'd see it on your turn stalk. I've got a friend that had a 2015 Rubi that had the auto lights but they're certainly not standard.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The auto headlights are a feature, you'd see it on your turn stalk. I've got a friend that had a 2015 Rubi that had the auto lights but they're certainly not standard.
Yes, the Recon has all the bells and whistles including automatic headlights on at dusk which is why I am surprised that it doesn't seem to have DRL activated. There are lots of JK Wrangler threads about this. Jeep certainly has the capability to do it because my JGC (and all my other cars) have DRL. I just want to have halos as DRL, then automatically turn on low beams when it gets dark. Maybe I will contact the dealer. But my experience with the dealer is that I'm inconveniencing them when I need regular service, so this request will blow their minds.

Quick Reply: Halo lights as DRL