Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Hacking the CAN-Interior Bus

Old 01-09-2014, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proof of concept #1

I finished the 1st proof-of-concept for using the CAN-Bus data to control auxiliary relays. It worked great. Attached is a block diagram of what I used, and a longish video of how the testing went.

If you want to skip all the bench testing, the actual in-car testing happens at the 11:15 mark of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/v64EYqzys0Q Code for the demo can be found at https://github.com/dcgibbons/jeepbot/tree/poc1

A few hours after I finished, a bluetooth-low-energy board I ordered showed up. The next step will be to throw that on there so that I can use a smartphone to configure each switch and optionally control them by hand.

Each switch will have the following different possible control states:
  • always on
  • manual only
  • on when interior lights are on
  • on when high-beams are on

Right after that, I'll start working on a prototype PCB and housing so I can start testing real versions of this system.

I'll post the design, schematics and code in progress on my blog so anyone can offer feedback as it gets built.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cool

very cool!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll definitly be staying tuned
Old 01-23-2014, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.bosch-semiconductors.de/e...at_is_can.html

Dont Know if this will help or you have seen it
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 AM
JK Freak

Another source from my friends who break things:
canbushack: Hack Your Car

This one is really scary. It talks about doing things like causing the steering wheel to jerk or causing or PREVENTING brakes from being applied.
Defcon presenters preview hack that takes Prius out of driver’s control
Old 01-27-2014, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
Another source from my friends who break things:
canbushack: Hack Your Car

This one is really scary. It talks about doing things like causing the steering wheel to jerk or causing or PREVENTING brakes from being applied.
Defcon presenters preview hack that takes Prius out of driver’s control
That DEFCON hack article is such FUD. Yes you can do all of those things (on cars that have full drive-by-wire) if you have physical access to the buses of the car.

It's like saying you need to tighten up security on your toilet because someone you invited into your home might drop a mentos inside of it.

(side-note: I work in the security industry).
Old 01-27-2014, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dcgibbons
That DEFCON hack article is such FUD. Yes you can do all of those things (on cars that have full drive-by-wire) if you have physical access to the buses of the car.

It's like saying you need to tighten up security on your toilet because someone you invited into your home might drop a mentos inside of it.

Sure you can't access a CAN bus wirelessly at this time. But, how hard would it be to attach a wireless interface to the CAN bus under the hood? "Physical access" doesn't mean you have to be physically in (or near) the car as long as your wireless interface is.

(side-note: I work in the industrial automation industry)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
Sure you can't access a CAN bus wirelessly at this time. But, how hard would it be to attach a wireless interface to the CAN bus under the hood? "Physical access" doesn't mean you have to be physically in (or near) the car as long as your wireless interface is.

(side-note: I work in the industrial automation industry)
But kinda-sorta so what? If someone wanted to mess/kill you, it would be a whole lot easier to just cut the brake lines or do it wirelessly with a remote that cuts them later... or remove lug-nuts, or a whole variety of mayhem.

Or even if your system is encrypted, I could rip our your PCM and replace it one that did what I wanted and still worked with your vehicle - physical access can't keep any security system at bay for long.

Now if they get to the point where the Bluetooth/WiFi modules in vehicles can be hacked, and you get access to the CAN buses that way, that would be a whole lot more interesting/scary.

A lot of security threats are hyped up and aren't really issues, but it gets the researchers press. We waste so much time chasing our tails with this sort of thing.

Aren't some OEM's already starting to encrypt the network layers on top of the CAN buses? I've been told the C7 Corvette has that at the GMLAN layer and I would love to see if that's the case. I know my old C6 was pretty underwhelming from a network/ECU perspective.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcgibbons

Your funny and being in the security industry you know that there is no such thing as 100% security. You can break into fort knox with enough effort. It is all about mitigating the risk to an acceptable level. Take a look at open network jacks at a major organization. You will see port security turned on for these network jacks even though the front door is locked. So even though you have physical access to a network jack does not mean you can compromise the internal network or any component of it. I certainly see this being an issue regardless of the attack vector. This access appears to be sensitive and should require some sort of security regardless if it is a physical connecter, wifi or bluetooth. Maybe I will see you at the next con!
Old 01-27-2014, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

I could see where wifi access to the CAN bus would benefit Big Brother. They could download your black-box history without getting out of their car. They could pull you over without putting on siren and lights. Every car would be like the "Bait Car".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsGlKjZbKKo

Quick Reply: Hacking the CAN-Interior Bus