Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Guage install, need FSM help please

Old 07-19-2007 | 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge install, need FSM help please

I've got some guages on order, oil pressure, volts and water temp.
I can't find by visual inspection anywhere to install the water temp sensor. It seems like all the available ports are taken by factory sensors and you can't run a "T" for temp sensors since the collant won't be flowing past it.

I'm thinking of installing an inline fitting that autometer makes for this type of situation, but need to know if the heater core lines flow all the time or just when the heater is on.

I've burnt the crap outta my hand several times digging around behind the center stack, and both the feed line and return line are hot, and this has been this summer after having the A/C on, not the heater.
This makes me think that collant flows all the time through the core, can someone please confirm this with the FSM please? If it doesn't, I'll have to buy a bigger flow through adapter for the top radiator hose.

Oh yeah, if the core does indeed flow all the time and I can use that line, I need to know the I.D. of it. I think it's 5/8", but I'm not sure and need to know before I buy the flow through adapter.

Thanks in advance for the research.

Last edited by John L; 07-28-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2007 | 09:29 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i looked but i cannot find a flow diagram or the line size listed.

i hate this manual, it is a pita to find anything in.

Edit:

Ooops..

from the FSM:

"OPERATION
Engine coolant is circulated through the heater hoses to the heater core at all times. As the coolant flows through the heater core, heat is removed from the engine and is transferred to the heater core tubes and fins. Air directed through the heater core picks up the heat from the heater core fins. The blend-air door allows control of the heater output air temperature by regulating the amount of air flowing through the heater core. The blower motor speed controls the volume of air flowing through the HVAC housing.
The heater core cannot be repaired and it must be replaced if found inoperative, leaking or damaged."

I still can't find any info on the line sizes.
Old 07-19-2007 | 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looking forward to seeing how you mount the gauges.
Old 07-19-2007 | 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
i looked but i cannot find a flow diagram or the line size listed.

i hate this manual, it is a pita to find anything in.

Edit:

Ooops..

from the FSM:

"OPERATION
Engine coolant is circulated through the heater hoses to the heater core at all times. As the coolant flows through the heater core, heat is removed from the engine and is transferred to the heater core tubes and fins. Air directed through the heater core picks up the heat from the heater core fins. The blend-air door allows control of the heater output air temperature by regulating the amount of air flowing through the heater core. The blower motor speed controls the volume of air flowing through the HVAC housing.
The heater core cannot be repaired and it must be replaced if found inoperative, leaking or damaged."

I still can't find any info on the line sizes.

Happy, I owe you a cold one for this info. Short of taking off the line and starting the motor, I would have been gussing about this. THANKS!!!!
I think I should be able to go to the dealer and hit up the parts guy to pull one out of stock and measure it.

Originally Posted by driley
Looking forward to seeing how you mount the gauges.
I'll post a write up on this when I finish up.

Quick Reply: Guage install, need FSM help please