Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Ground Strap for Tailgate Mounted Antenna

Old 05-24-2007, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground Strap for Tailgate Mounted Antenna

I installed both a CB and a ham antenna on my JK using the Arizona Rocky Road Antenna mounts. A good ground to the vehicle body and frame is required for best performance, but because of the hinge the tailgate hinge is not well connected electrically to the body and frame. This problem can be overcome with a grounding strap between the tailgate and the body.

Finding a good place on the JK for a ground strap that is hidden and out of the way is not easy. However, after a lot of looking and contemplating, I found a great way to install a ground strap on the JK.

It goes under the plastic cover over the lower tailgate hinge.

Remove the cover by pressing the locking tabs through the locking slots in the tailgate from inside the tailgate. It pops off very easily. Attach the strap to the tailgate mounting bolt and insert the strap through the lower locking slot.

Snap the cover back into place. This requires a light tap since the locking slot now has the strap through it also.

Find a bolt inside the tub to attach the other end of the ground strap. I used the bolt that holds down the subwoofer.

The ground strap I used is from a roll of strap material I bought at a hamfest. I am sure it is available at CB shops. I used the one that is about 1/2" wide.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice...Just for reference for others, John L also did this, but he did it on the top hinge - from this thread:

Old 05-24-2007, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
Nice...Just for reference for others, John L also did this, but he did it on the top hinge - from this thread:
I had seen his installation, and it was my starting point. However, I did not want to drill any new holes. Going through the hinge cover locking slot to the outside of the tailgate lets me use an existing bolt while hiding the strap.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ky8t
I had seen his installation, and it was my starting point. However, I did not want to drill any new holes. Going through the hinge cover locking slot to the outside of the tailgate lets me use an existing bolt while hiding the strap.
Yep...for sure. A great idea!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

How did the ground strap work? Did it improve radio performance? I use the same size strap to ground the exhaust to the body to reduce noise.
N4XGI
Old 05-24-2007, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ky8t
I like this, nicely done. Do you think it will eventually abrade at the rectangular hole location?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeff
How did the ground strap work? Did it improve radio performance? I use the same size strap to ground the exhaust to the body to reduce noise.
N4XGI
ditto, did it help your CB? how was it before?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeff
N4XGI
Didn't notice any major difference, not that I used the radios that much before installing the strap. There may be enough metal to metal contact for ground most of the time, but my concern was intermittent ground later. This solves that problem.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by John L
I like this, nicely done. Do you think it will eventually abrade at the rectangular hole location?
It may, but it was easy enough to install that I could install another one if this one fails.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does Radio Shack Sell this strap? How long of one did you need?

Quick Reply: Ground Strap for Tailgate Mounted Antenna