Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

GoPro Hero2 & Tablet & Vector JKE Dock

Old 12-19-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GoPro Hero2 & Tablet & Vector JKE Dock

So, here's what I'm thinking. I need to get the big CB off of my dash. Likely that I'll sell it and buy something a tad smaller. The CB is screwing up my MyGig Sat Nav. Sometimes the damn thing thinks I'm miles away from current location.
Once that is done, I'd like to install the JKE dock from Vector. It can hold a CB among other things.
Click image for larger version

Name:	edockemptytop.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	251690
With that I'd like to install a Ram Mount to hold my Toshiba Tablet.

Name:	3161ap8iu1a.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	251691
I'd also like to mount the aforementioned GoPro Hero2. This would be one of the mounting options. Under Jeep, Hood Mount etc also in plans - but it comes with those mounts.

Name:	edocktrayclose.jpg
Views:	1198
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	251692

So, my plan would be to install all of this with the intent of running the camera via the GoPro WI-FI BacPac & Remote.
Benefit - "The Wi-Fi BacPac attaches to your HD HERO2 camera to enable long range video remote control via the Wi-Fi Remote or a smartphone, tablet, or computer running a free GoPro App. Waterproof and durable, the Wi-Fi Remote enables complete control of up to 50 HD HERO2 cameras at a time."

Impact = See in cab what is being taped. Adjust as necessary. Run multiple cameras (if budget allows) through the tablet. That would be amazing!

So, this isn't to say I'm running out to grab all of this stuff today or next week, but rather to generate discussion on the tablet and gopro hero2 configuration.

Has anyone tried running the cam through a tablet yet via the wifi bacpac yet? Feedback?

Alternatives?

Also - is it possible to tie in a Lockpick to the tablet as well in some way? Or should I just leave that attached to the MyGig if I get one?

If I proceed with this, I'll definitely do a write-up. Now to beg the wife to let me buy more jeep parts lol.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as your SAT NAV acting haywire, you just need to relocate your gps antennae out from under the upper dash. Anything electromagnetic will screw with it. I put a gauge console up there and my NAV went screwy. Moved the antenna and everything worked perfect again.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Vector E-dock and love it. It is one of my favorite parts I have put on any vehicle. I use ram mounts for a brake controller, Spot locator, my phone and my wifes phone, a Street GPS and a Hiking GPS, Ipad and Gopro. I have been eyeballing the Gopro LCD back but really don't think the wifi is necessary if you are mounting to the E-Dock. With the camera mounted within arms reach I can't see any advantage to having to mess with the Ipad to control the camera..it seems like it would be an extra step. If you have the Gopro already read the manual well. You can change what mode it enters when you power it up. I have mine setup for 1 touch. If I hit the button it comes on and goes right into video mode. I used to sit and count beeps etc with it when I turned it on. If I hadnt found the features for going right into video mode I would have given the wifi link a serious look...

That all being said, I am moving my Gopro off the E-dock. I find looking at the hood in the video distracting. I plan on making a mount to mount it to one of the light tabs on my front bumper (hung upside down) so the camera is protected somewhat by the bumper hoop. I will seriously look into the Wifi now as remotely controlling the camera would be great in this application. I have 2 gopro's and may look into how the wifi controls multiple cameras. I say may as it would make more sense to mount a second Gopro to another vehicle instead of 2 on one vehicle. I also recommend 2 batteries and 2 SD cards per camera. It always seems my Gopro single battery would run out just when all the interesting stuff started to happen.... Also, with 2 batteries and 2 cards you can pretty much go out wheelin or whatever you want to do, change the batteries and cards at lunch and just leave the camera running the whole time... There really isn't much reason to stop and start recording alot. Batteries recharge and cards are reusable.. Hopes this makes sense....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0040.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	251724  

Last edited by OverlandJKU; 12-19-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Freak

Yeah, actually it does make a lot of sense. Thanks for the info.
Initially, I'm thinking that you're right on wifi bacpac not required, but one thing I think would be cool - especially in the bush bar mount or leading edge of the hood, would be that the tablet would be playing streaming video of the cameras view. In certain cases, you'd have a birds eye view of where you are headed even when your uphill so far you can't see over. The tablet would show you.
Also - you'd see what you've actually got framed in and adjust as necessary.
I don't have any of those things just yet. Just thinking out loud.

One question that comes to my mind though is what size card are you running that you can use two for a whole day? 16GB? or bigger?

thanks in advance!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not send a video out signal to your mygig? The lockpick can do that as a camera feature and you wouldn't have to use a tablet.
I plan on going this route as soon as I get a GoPro.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 16 gb cards...they will allow for roughly 4 hours each. Figure you will stop time to time do do things and I shut the Gopro off if I know I will be stationary for a bit...Here's a couple of other things. The field of view on the Gopro is wide. Really wide. I have been happy with what I have recorded just by pointing in the general direction. I'll also add to the original post. If it were me starting from scratch, I have gone with the Gopro 960's instead of the 1080's. First, there isn't much difference when it comes down to resolution. Second, most of the video I use is edited down and used for DVD, or for the internet. I dont have a blu-ray burner so everything over 480p is pretty useless to me anyways. I bought the 1080s thinking they would be more future proof but looking back the 960's would be fine and I could have saved a pile of $$.

While I was doing it all again, I would buy a Hero 960. Then I would find a deal 720p Sony DVD or other brand DVD camcorder and pick that up. These can be had cheap. Gopro is great when you are driving down the trails but can get boring. Don't get me wrong it is interesting..but most of the good stuff (people getting stuck, winching out etc) will be missed with a Gopro.

On a recent trail ride, I brought the Gopro out with me. I also brought a regular digital camera with video. Most of the cool/interesting video happened when I was outside the Jeep. The digital camera video was pretty bad quality, and I had left my Handicam at home. It will come with me from now on...

Last edited by OverlandJKU; 12-19-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
Why not send a video out signal to your mygig? The lockpick can do that as a camera feature and you wouldn't have to use a tablet.
I plan on going this route as soon as I get a GoPro.
I like your thinking.

Originally Posted by OverlandJKU
I have 2 16 gb cards...they will allow for roughly 4 hours each. Figure you will stop time to time do do things and I shut the Gopro off if I know I will be stationary for a bit...Here's a couple of other things. The field of view on the Gopro is wide. Really wide. I have been happy with what I have recorded just by pointing in the general direction. I'll also add to the original post. If it were me starting from scratch, I have gone with the Gopro 960's instead of the 1080's. First, there isn't much difference when it comes down to resolution. Second, most of the video I use is edited down and used for DVD, or for the internet. I dont have a blu-ray burner so everything over 480p is pretty useless to me anyways. I bought the 1080s thinking they would be more future proof but looking back the 960's would be fine and I could have saved a pile of $$.

While I was doing it all again, I would buy a Hero 960. Then I would find a deal 720p Sony DVD or other brand DVD camcorder and pick that up. These can be had cheap. Gopro is great when you are driving down the trails but can get boring. Don't get me wrong it is interesting..but most of the good stuff (people getting stuck, winching out etc) will be missed with a Gopro.

On a recent trail ride, I brought the Gopro out with me. I also brought a regular digital camera with video. Most of the cool/interesting video happened when I was outside the Jeep. The digital camera video was pretty bad quality, and I had left my Handicam at home. It will come with me from now on...
Solid advice. The GoPro people won't think so, but hey, whatevs. Thanks much.

Quick Reply: GoPro Hero2 & Tablet & Vector JKE Dock