Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Gas Gauge dropped below E

Old 07-04-2022 | 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Default Gas Gauge dropped below E

I have a 2008 wrangler that I had something on the dash that fell in the gap between the windshield and the dash, I removed the cluster to remove it ( I didn't disconnect any wires) I laid the cluster on the dash to retrieve said item, put everything back and now the gas gauge sits below E. When I start the Jeep it rises to the E, I can adjust it to the E and start it and it'll go to where it's supposed to be, but have no idea how to fix this, I've tried the reset option for the cluster but nothing it working, any ideas?

Old 07-04-2022 | 05:31 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

The fuel gauge works off a stepper motor that drives the needle. At key-off, it's supposed to run back to a point just below "E". I'm pretty sure this is a mechanical stop, but in any case it's how the stepper motor finds it's zero. At key-on, the electronics position it the right amount of steps from zero according to the level sender in the tank.

So I'm thinking that the zero stop broke somehow during the cluster work. Maybe you can fix it, could be the needle has come out on the shaft, or perhaps even glue something on to act as a new zero stop for the indicator. Or maybe I'm totally off base, but stay in touch regardless!
Old 07-05-2022 | 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

I'll try it this wkend thank you

Quick Reply: Gas Gauge dropped below E