Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Garmin Nuvi 200W

Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin Nuvi 200W

Hey all,

Been reading about people with the Garmin Nuvi GPS models (mostly the 600/650 models)... and most agree that they are pretty sweet.

I just wanted to add my comments that if you are on a smaller budget (like myself) the 600+ model numbers are a bit pricey. Because of that, I purchased the Nuvi 200W.

Great model - you get a basic GPS & photo viewer and that's about all. I actually didn't need the mp3 player function... or the audio book player that the 650 comes with. It also doesn't speak the street names... just speaks directions 'turn left in 500 feet'. Also, it doesn't have the FM or XM traffic info ability as well. But other than that, it has the same functions as the higher end models.

So if you are looking for a cheaper GPS alternative try the 200W. 'W' stands for the wide-screen version... I RECOMMEND. It's nice having the larger display. But it's still slim and u can throw it in a bag or your pocket easily.

Got mine on Amazon for $250 (free shipping).

Also, my 2 cents: Of all GPS units I demo'ed I think Garmin had the best interface.. super easy to use and read.... others like TomTom & Magelin in my opinion, were not as 'user friendly'.

Go Garmin!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

But does the 200w have the bluetooth function? That is whats got me looking at the 600's. The way I look at it, I would Pay the extra cash just for the Bluetooth, so the other features like the mps player and the street names are just extras. I agree the Garmin is top notch, and that the 200 is also a great unit. But for me the 600's are worth saving up for.

Warner
Old 11-24-2007, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

A thing I noticed about Garmin, as I almost bought the Nuvi200W the other day, is that although the come preloaded with the U.S. and Puerto Rico they dont come loaded with Canadian maps. So to get the Canadian maps you have to pay an extra 80 bones or so....Tom Tom however comes loaded with Canada. I havent bought either since I am still waiting to decide if Garmin is worth paying the extra money for the Canadian maps since I usually spend more than a few week out of the year up there.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Not sure where you are buying from but you can pick up a Canadian model off of ebay and they come with both Canadian and US maps preloaded. Just throwing it out there as an option.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Default 200W to 250W

But does the 200w have the bluetooth function? That is whats got me looking at the 600's. The way I look at it, I would Pay the extra cash just for the Bluetooth, so the other features like the mps player and the street names are just extras. I agree the Garmin is top notch, and that the 200 is also a great unit. But for me the 600's are worth saving up for.

Warner
I agree ... if you want to wait and 'save up' get a higher end (600+ series) model you get more options. The 200 series does not have blue tooth... it is pretty bare bones.

Also, the 200 & 200W do not come with a map of Alaska or Canada... that has to be purchased extra as an SD card add on...

Didn't matter for me, I won't be making frequent trips to Alaska or Canada.... so I didn't need it.

FYI... if you want the 'budget' GPS from Garmin, go up a model and get the 250W... it's about $50 more than the 200W everything is the same but you get the maps of Alaska & Canada.

I just made good use of my 200W (and my Jeep!) this Thanksgiving weekend traveling to visit family... and it performed great! (so did the Jeep! )

Last edited by NK_JK; 11-26-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

www.buy.com is running the Nuvi 200W for $212, with coupons thru google checkout and new member you can get it for $192 plus tax and shipping. The bluetooth of the more expensive units is useless in a jeep. I have a 250W and love it. My brother has a 360 and wishes he had mine. Never uses the extras, too loud to do it.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

If you travel to Europe any, take a serious look at the TomTom's. You can get an entire TomTom GPS with maps of US, Canada, and Europe for about $100 more than Garmin sells the European data set alone. Just France for my Garmin 360 cost me $185.

Last edited by bikerglen; 12-06-2007 at 03:47 PM. Reason: too many alones in one sentence
Old 12-08-2007, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

Default remember to compare mapping data

I know Garmin has the new 2008 NAVTEQ map data (same database as google maps) the Tom-Tom doesn't use NAVTEQ and I believe has not updated there map data yet. That is one reason I choose Garmin.

just something to think about.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking to buy a garmin 250w, because we are going to montreal next week-end and could come in use at other times. I was just wondering, where can it be mounted in the jeep without obstructing the front view, but also without drilling any holes.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

for any electronics i check the nextag.com, i've got a brand new 650 for $330 a few months ago. The best site for the best prices
NUVI 650 for $328: http://www.pcrush.com/prodspec.asp?r...o=121153&cpid=

Last edited by Labrador; 02-08-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Garmin Nuvi 200W