Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

FYI on filters for Light Force

Old 02-02-2010, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI on filters for Light Force

Someone said that a thread on filter info would be a good idea so here we go......
I've got the 170's with the light yellow combo lens and the light blue combo lens. I like the yellows better for the contrast and the amount of visiable light but the blues look better on my orange Jeep. As far as the blues being a "snow" filter they are worthless, they do NOT help in any way, just as much reflection off of the flakes in the air and they actually make the snow look flatter instead of showing the hills and valleys.
All of the CDOT plow trucks up here use two sets of headlights, one pair is normal clear and the second pair is yellow. Now I know why.
Also the blues light output seems to be like someone killed half the power going to the lamp.
I summery, don't buy the blues.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's what I've long suspected and what the research by Daniel Stern seems to cooberate. I'll be getting a set of orange/yellow lenses when I decide which set of lights I want on my front bumper.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
I have read allot on this subject as well over the last few days and am going to order Yellow Combo's for my 170's on the bumper and Yellow Spots for the 140's on the Windshield.. all should blend well with my Yellow Jeep.. may look like a square Banana..
They make Yellow Combos?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 PM
JK Newbie

Just a heads up. I ran with some 170s for 3 years on my XJ. The first year they were great, but seemed to fade over time. I believe its due to me not using a blackout cover (company vehicle has the same lights, but keep blackout covers on them unless they're being used - and they're lasting a lot longer). By year three I was down to 200 yards, where as the company truck is still getting more than 300 yards.

I've since switched to HIDs. I might revisit Lightforce again when doing the roof rack... but if I do, I'll always keep some blackout covers on until it's actually time to use them.

With my current setup, I'll keep 1 set of 4" RR HIDs uncovered for the day to day stuff, while the rest will be covered until I think I might need to use them.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Thats sometimes easier said than done. Up north here it's light most of the summer depending on the location and time (and I mean like sunglass's till after 10, light at 3am). I don't know if that played a part in it or not. But it makes it easier for us to not have to worry about it for a few months a year. Maybe I just got a bad batch, who knows. I gave the lights to my friend, and he loves them.

Also I'm somewhat anal about being able to see at night, and my lights.

EDIT:

And as the OP said... the snow blue filters really suck! If you use the lights in the winter, get the amber lenses. They make a huge difference. The blues help slightly (over a clear filter)... but you lose so much distance, and they still light up the snow.

Last edited by Riptide; 02-09-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Looks good!

Q, what WS brackets are you using?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

You're right; the blue filter is worthless. Even less than worthless.

Some good info in this non-JKForum-competing thread
Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

AWE YEAH! That's looking great! I wonder how they'd look on my blacked out JK though. I'd probably leave the clears on until I needed the fogs.

Quick Reply: FYI on filters for Light Force