Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Front praking lights come on pressing brake pedal after replacing rear brake lights

Old 10-27-2014, 04:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front parking lights come on pressing brake pedal after replacing rear brake lights

Used front left turn signal on Friday and noticed it was blinking fast (which indicates a burnt out bulb). I checked and found the drivers side rear brake light was out. I replaced both brake lights with Red LED 3157 bulbs. All worked great on my trip down to Boca Grande, Florida. While sitting in front of a convenience store last evening, I noticed in the reflection of the storefront glass that my front parking lights come on when I press the brake pedal. Could the LED lights be causing this malfunction of the parking lights?

Follow up after troubleshooting a bit last evening...

I noticed that the parking lights come on and they all flash (like hazards being on) when I use my turn signals when no lights are turned on AND.... When the parking lights, driving lights and head lights are on in their respective positions... the turn signals etc.. all work like they are supposed to. so freaking weird....

any suggestions as to why this is happening would be great.

Last edited by Black Sunshine; 10-28-2014 at 03:39 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 10-29-2014, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like cheap or defective LED bulbs; go back to incandescent and see if it still happens.

What is happening is the major (bright) filament/circuit being activated with turn and brake is feeding voltage back through the minor (not as bright) filament circuit. since parking lights are not wired to be independent per side, all four corners would illuminate when voltage is applied to it. could try flipping the bulbs 180 degrees in the socket on the off chance they're just getting current backwards and finding ground through the parking light circuit.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R0B0CON
try flipping the bulbs 180 degrees in the socket on the off chance they're just getting current backwards and finding ground through the parking light circuit.
This was my first thought as well.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Are you sure you have the right replacement LED bulbs?
Old 10-30-2014, 03:04 AM
JK Newbie

Hey guys.. thanks for the replies and explaining it in terms someone with not much knowledge of electrical items can understand.
and yes.. they are 3157 bulbs.
Do you think installing the 50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights would fix the problem?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Might need a diode wired in, sounds like it's back feeding, common issue with leds
Old 10-30-2014, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Black Sunshine
Hey guys.. thanks for the replies and explaining it in terms someone with not much knowledge of electrical items can understand.
and yes.. they are 3157 bulbs.
Do you think installing the 50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights would fix the problem?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

No need to make it more complicated than it is. Don't need to wire in anything extra. It does sound like current is back feeding through the parking circuit; instead of doing wiring get a good bulb. If you experience fast blinking THEN consider using a resistor. A resistor won't help with your current issue.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

alrighty then... thanks for the help!!

Quick Reply: Front praking lights come on pressing brake pedal after replacing rear brake lights