Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Found an easy wire access from engine bay

Old 05-04-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will save you all some trouble. It takes literaly 2 minutes to get a wire from the cab to the battery. Pop the plastic piece of the side of the dash. (Just give your air vent ring a twist to the left and pop it out, then push the panel off from the inside) Poke a coat hanger through the foam, tape a wire to it and pull it back through. Oops, sorry, that took about 1 min 48 seconds. No water to worry about etc. Here are some pictures courtesy of captainsam

http://my.project-jk.com/showphoto.p...085&ppuser=370

http://my.project-jk.com/showphoto.p...086&ppuser=370
Old 05-04-2007, 10:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I will save you all some trouble. It takes literaly 2 minutes to get a wire from the cab to the battery. Pop the plastic piece of the side of the dash. (Just give your air vent ring a twist to the left and pop it out, then push the panel off from the inside) Poke a coat hanger through the foam, tape a wire to it and pull it back through. Oops, sorry, that took about 1 min 48 seconds. No water to worry about etc. Here are some pictures courtesy of captainsam

Thought about that too...but why bother making the wire visible when you open the trunk. My wiring looks like it was done an installer. But it's a good idea. ecept I dont want water going in there and trailing it back to my main wiring relay of whatever I'm trying to install or to the battery, through the cable.... Aso, I didn't wanna run any wires near the vent either because of the extreme heat from the heater.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Updated with full pictures.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ClownBaby
I was messing around with my amp wire and found the best way to get amp wire to your Jeep. I will take pictures later. You can drop the wire through behind the battery and the right fender. Go about 4 feet and there are drain holes. I found 2. I brought the wire through one of them. It's the easiest way to get wire to your JK. Also, use plastic cable wrap if you must. I did. It's the same thing going through under your jeep and through your engine bay. No worry about getting burned or getting wet (not that it would matter)....
Let me know if this was any helpful for you. Thanks.
If you drive you Jeep offroad and through water, the breached plug may leak, and you will wind up with water inside the vehicle. If you stay onroad and don't drive in heavy rainstorms, you should be OK.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ky8t
If you drive you Jeep offroad and through water, the breached plug may leak, and you will wind up with water inside the vehicle. If you stay onroad and don't drive in heavy rainstorms, you should be OK.

You have no idea what these can do bro. LOL
No seriously, I already tested it with my water hose....At full speed. I doubt even at heavy rain, water would hit harder than a hose.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand you've tested it with a hose, but I still don't trust that location. If you ask me, that's a bad idea. Theres surely better places to get wires through to the interior.

It's never a good idea to leave a wire exposed..on the bottom or anywhere for that matter.

I haven't looked yet, but I'm betting theres a way to run that inside rather than out.

And you're running that to underneath your seat, right?
Old 05-11-2007, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont get it I always get water in my floor board.

Oh maby thats because the top is always off. I leave my drain plugs out water never realy hurts any thing but the carpet.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
I haven't looked yet, but I'm betting theres a way to run that inside rather than out.
Click on the pictures in post #12.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rubimon

Thanks Rubimon.. thought that was a good idea..

someone will find a better way before too long..

I definitely didn't like the idea of pulling the Battery and battery box etc.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I remember the whole question came up about if water went in there because I used a drain plug....well as you can see my JK in the pictures below...and no there wasn't a drop of water in my JK! Thank you.

Quick Reply: Found an easy wire access from engine bay