Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Found an easy wire access from engine bay

Old 04-29-2007, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found an easy wire access from engine bay

I was messing around with my amp wire and found the best way to get amp wire to your Jeep. I will take pictures later. You can drop the wire through behind the battery and the right fender. Go about 4 feet and there are drain holes. I found 2. I brought the wire through one of them. It's the easiest way to get wire to your JK. Also, use plastic cable wrap if you must. I did. It's the same thing going through under your jeep and through your engine bay. No worry about getting burned or getting wet (not that it would matter)....
Let me know if this was any helpful for you. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
if you remove the battery and tray (it's a pain) then you can access the main wiring harness and gromet. I heated up a punch with a torch (you could use a lighter) and pushed it throught he gromet. then fed the wire through. VERY tight seal and it's the best access to the front.

just a heads up. to remove the front battery tray, you'll end up unplugging all your relays since the box is mounted to it!!!!!

**UPDATE** - 5/8/2007

Here are the pictures:

Here, you can see both of the drain hole plugs...one where the whie is going through and the other where it's still blocked.

This is how it looks from the bottom........do you see any wires???? Nope!

Last edited by ClownBaby; 05-08-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ClownBaby
I was messing around with my amp wire and found the best way to get amp wire to your Jeep. I will take pictures later. You can drop the wire through behind the battery and the right fender. Go about 4 feet and there are drain holes. I found 2. I brought the wire through one of them. It's the easiest way to get wire to your JK. Also, use plastic cable wrap if you must. I did. It's the same thing going through under your jeep and through your engine bay. No worry about getting burned or getting wet (not that it would matter)....
Let me know if this was any helpful for you. Thanks.

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly...you're running the wires from the battery though the drain holes in the floor boards?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
Just want to make sure I understand you correctly...you're running the wires from the battery though the drain holes in the floor boards?
Yup....there are 2, side by side on passenger side...I don't see a point of of both of them so I'm using one....

any problem??
Old 04-30-2007, 12:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well unless you seal it well, you risk having water come up..perhaps...

Not really ideal to mess with the floor drain if you plan on doing any water fording..I would think.

but why not just punch through the firewall? I'm not sure I understand why you chose to go through the floor drain holes over the firewall. Is there an advantage to doing it that way that I'm not thinking of?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
Well unless you seal it well, you risk having water come up..perhaps...

Not really ideal to mess with the floor drain if you plan on doing any water fording..I would think.

but why not just punch through the firewall? I'm not sure I understand why you chose to go through the floor drain holes over the firewall. Is there an advantage to doing it that way that I'm not thinking of?
Well, took me 5 mins...didn't have to worry about drilling...or finding a spot. I also have the floor shut w/ rubber seal, so water coming in would be out of the question. Water will not hurt the wire. Why? Because it's runing along other factory wires. Those would get messed up before my wiring would. Only because the skin is way thicker than factory wires. Like I said, I'll try to take pics to show you guys. Maybe it seems very harmful to the wire but it's not. A buddy of mine has his zip tied to the freakin body all the way to the back for a little over 14 months now. He said no issue at all.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:05 AM
JK Jedi

Well, took me 5 mins...didn't have to worry about drilling...or finding a spot. I also have the floor shut w/ rubber seal, so water coming in would be out of the question. Water will not hurt the wire. Why? Because it's runing along other factory wires. Those would get messed up before my wiring would. Only because the skin is way thicker than factory wires. Like I said, I'll try to take pics to show you guys. Maybe it seems very harmful to the wire but it's not. A buddy of mine has his zip tied to the freakin body all the way to the back for a little over 14 months now. He said no issue at all.
No, I'm not worried about the wire. I'm worried about your jeep! Just keep an eye on it should you ford any water. if that seal breaks you could have a pond in your floorboard quickly...that's all I was worried about.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

No, I'm not worried about the wire. I'm worried about your jeep! Just keep an eye on it should you ford any water. if that seal breaks you could have a pond in your floorboard quickly...that's all I was worried about.
True true, but if I go water fording, I will not take it w/out removing my amps as water could easily get in there...but even if I did go with them amps in, it's sealed w/ rubber cement so it'll never come off..... The reason I did that was because there is another drain hole about 4-6 inch from it so I don't need 2 right side by side...
Old 05-02-2007, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi

True true, but if I go water fording, I will not take it w/out removing my amps as water could easily get in there...but even if I did go with them amps in, it's sealed w/ rubber cement so it'll never come off..... The reason I did that was because there is another drain hole about 4-6 inch from it so I don't need 2 right side by side...
I'm really glad you mentioned this, because this is something that completely escaped my mind. I might need to reconsider my mounting location...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm really glad you mentioned this, because this is something that completely escaped my mind. I might need to reconsider my mounting location...
haha, sorry I keep forgetting to take pics....I'll give it a shot tomorrow, I hope I remember
Old 05-04-2007, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I'm searching and searching and can't find an easy access through the firewall anywhere. I'm trying to get a "SureConnect" wire from the external antenna to the inside of the Jeep, but have been searching for over an hour without any luck. Anybody else find a way through without using the floor drain plugs?

Thanks.

Tom
Bryson City, NC

Quick Reply: Found an easy wire access from engine bay