Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

footwell lights

Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking footwell lights

Alright so, i basically followed someone else on this and may have messed up or misunderstood something but, i wired LED lights under the footwell to light it up cause its dark as hell down there. i wired them to come on with the normal dome light, basically when i unlock Jeep. i also want to run them while im driving but dont really want the dome light on. is it possible to clip one of those vamp clip thingys to a switch to cut power to the wire (the hvac wire near the rollbar speakers) so that its on a switch for when i want it on but also to go off when i dont want it? Basically the LEDs come on when i turn that brightness knob on the steering stalk and i want my dome light to go off. Is what i said above possible? if not any other suggestions would be great

Thanks
Chubbs
Old 05-13-2010, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rubi4life
Alright so, i basically followed someone else on this and may have messed up or misunderstood something but, i wired LED lights under the footwell to light it up cause its dark as hell down there. i wired them to come on with the normal dome light, basically when i unlock Jeep. i also want to run them while im driving but dont really want the dome light on. is it possible to clip one of those vamp clip thingys to a switch to cut power to the wire (the hvac wire near the rollbar speakers) so that its on a switch for when i want it on but also to go off when i dont want it? Basically the LEDs come on when i turn that brightness knob on the steering stalk and i want my dome light to go off. Is what i said above possible? if not any other suggestions would be great

Thanks
Chubbs
I know that there is a wire behind the dash that I saw someone wired LED's to for ambient lighting. I don't know if that would have them light up with the dome also. I am pretty sure that he basically grabbed whatever is the hot wire for the heater control lights (so they were dimable). I don't see why you couldn't just double wire the positive. Run a wire splicing into the LED positive wire to the Dash lights. Leaving the wiring into the dome the way it is. This way they will turn on at night when you have the head lights on (receiving postive from the dash lights) and also receive positive from the dome whenever the dome is powered.

If you do a search you'll find a post on here where someone wired up ambient lighting (i think thats the phrase he used in his post) he took a pic of the wire I am referencing.

Good Luck hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trick50
I know that there is a wire behind the dash that I saw someone wired LED's to for ambient lighting. I don't know if that would have them light up with the dome also. I am pretty sure that he basically grabbed whatever is the hot wire for the heater control lights (so they were dimable). I don't see why you couldn't just double wire the positive. Run a wire splicing into the LED positive wire to the Dash lights. Leaving the wiring into the dome the way it is. This way they will turn on at night when you have the head lights on (receiving postive from the dash lights) and also receive positive from the dome whenever the dome is powered.

If you do a search you'll find a post on here where someone wired up ambient lighting (i think thats the phrase he used in his post) he took a pic of the wire I am referencing.

Good Luck hope this helps.
I recommend against double-wiring it. I believe there is a possibility of sending current back up the other positive wire...which could lead to some problems.

You could do this with a Contura DPDT switch, wired backwards, along with two wires to tap into the power sources. It is adviseable to solder an appropriately sized diode into each of the tap wires-this will prevent current from flowing backwards into the vehicle wiring (which could cause major issues).

Connect pin 4 to the wire that will tap the AC "dimmable" wiring and connect pin 6 to the wire that will tap the dome light wiring. Then connect pin 5 to the actual led light's positive lead and connect pin 7 to ground. Note that you'll be drawing power from these other sources ... so hopefully the existing wiring/circuits can handle the extra load. Don't forget that your LED lights will need to be connected to ground as well.

This solution will give you a three way switch that lets you turn the lights on manually, that cuts power to them completely, or that lets you turn them on only when the dome light is active.

I hope that helps.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Yes good answer ... a 3 way switch will work for you ... 1 way you can have it on all the time and whenever you get out of the vehicle you can flip it over to only come on when the dome light is on and leave it like that ... since the dome is not on it will not draw any power

the other options that you have is just wiring it up to an independent switch but it wont come on with the dome

or you could wire it to the illumination wire on the back of the gauge cluster (im pretty sure that lights up when the car unlocks) and then they will be on every time you turn the lights on which means it is dark outside and you can use them anyway
Old 05-15-2010, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OnBelay

This solution will give you a three way switch that lets you turn the lights on manually, that cuts power to them completely, or that lets you turn them on only when the dome light is active.

I hope that helps.
I'm actually in the middle of this mod right now. I've wired in multiple "three way switches" in the system so that my "ambiance lighting" can be operated by dimmer or constant power, my footwell lights can be dome or dimmable, and my windshield lights can be constant or slaved to my high beams.

It sounds like it's difficult, but it really isn't. I'll post a write-up once I've finished all the wiring and have pics...
Old 05-18-2010, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

i'd like to see what you have done when you are finished.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

well my jeep is in the shop right now, bad throttle body, :( but, so far all ive done is put the blue led lights in. still debating on wether i want to do that alternate switch. ill let yall know, oh and on order is a high powerr blue led dome light

Chubbs
Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

where did u order your dome light from? want to post a link (h**p://) not to break the rules.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Just did this. I purchased a set of 7" LED flexible light strips with self stick 3m tape. I stuck the strips on the small metal cross bar at the bottom of the dash just above the foot wells. I then just grounded the black wires and used a quick connect to the yellow with white strip wire in the passenger side harness near the door. All works great and I can see!! They come on just as the dome light does.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by [N]UGE
where did u order your dome light from? want to post a link (h**p://) not to break the rules.
I want to know this too!

Quick Reply: footwell lights