Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Foglights on with high beams

Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kamea22
Bad write up... Without all the opinions about legal issues or personal lighting techniques. How can you disable the fog cut off when brights are applied? For an outcome to have brights plus fogs on at the same time using the factory fog switch? Does anyone know how to achieve this?
This is realy quite simple. There are only two options. 1) Hack the Jeep computer and make it do what you want. 2) Cut the lights loose from the OEM harness. Simple
Old 02-08-2011, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fogs with Brights

Actually there's a third option: Use another double throw (SPDT) relay. Cut the wires to the fogs, and have them go through the relay in the normally closed position. This will send power from the fog light wire thru to the fog lights, to turn on/off the fogs when you turn on/off the factory switch (with low beams), just like it does now.

Then, tap into the high beam wire, and route this to the trigger input on the Relay, which will flip it to the other side when you turn on the high beams. Then, route power to this pole directly from the battery (through a fuse of course). Thus, when you turn on the high beams, it will switch the relay to the other side, and pass current through to the fog lights, to turn on (keep on) the fogs. The catch is that your fogs will always come on, whenever your high beams come on. Maybe that's OK / what you want ? There will also be a slight blink of the fogs, when you switch from high to low beam.

Some more elaborate options, would be to:
1. Route this control signal (from the high beam tap) through a switch, so that the fogs would not necessarily come on with the high beams; If it's off, the fog lights just work like the factory (re. legality in your state?);
2. Don't tap into the high beam wire at all: Just run a fused wire from the battery (or ignition - tap into the switch cig. lighter wire), through a switch, to the relay trigger. Then when it's on, the lights stay on; if it's off, they work like factory. (I may change my set up to this...)
3. I'm sure there's more...

BTW, you can't just tie the high beam / fog light wires together at the Relay, because it would most likely freak out the computer. Thought of doing this circuit, but I just went with a separate switch for my fogs (on the Daystar panel), and forget about the factory switch - works fine. Hope it helps.

Last edited by BoggerSwap; 02-08-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoggerSwap
Actually there's a third option: Cut the wires to the fogs, .
JK-Ford
2) Cut the lights loose from the OEM harness. Simple
Your #3 option sounds a little like my #2 option.

Quick Reply: Foglights on with high beams