Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Foglights on with high beams

Old 10-07-2010, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
OK, Agreed, the law is "The Law". No matter how stupid. Like marrying our sisters or not being able to run fogs with high beams. I'll just be thankful that the law makers hear in my home town will let me do both at the same time if I so wish. But all kidding asside. I would never run my high beams in foggy weather. And I don't have a sister. So what does it matter if I want to use my fogs with my highs. What's the diffrence between that and any other beam pattern with highs. You can be ticketed for not dimming lights to on comming traffic anyway. I'll admit that I am one of those guys that so called "misuses fogs". But it's more the norm in my neck of the woods. And I would bet that the people that don't have them only wish they did. It's not against the law. It improves visibility. And therefore improves safety.
I can see you did not read the DS link.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorrel
I can see you did not read the DS link.

In clear conditions, more foreground light is not a good thing, it's a bad thing.
US-DOT headlamps have historically tended to provide relatively low, arguably inadequate levels of light in the foreground and to the sides. Many US DOT headlamps have what seems to be a "black hole" in front of the car, with essentially the entire beam concentrated in a narrow band or ball of light thrown into the distance. With headlamps like these, a decent argument can be made for the use of fog lamps to fill the "black hole", that is, to add-back the missing foreground and lateral-spread light when driving at moderate speeds on dark and/or twisty roads.
This just proves that you can get a lot of diffrent opinnions. Even from the same person. So my question still stands. ( In clear conditions and dim for head on traffic ) What is wrong with using fogs with high beams.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 10-08-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
This just proves that you can get a lot of diffrent opinnions. Even from the same person. So my question still stands. ( In clear conditions and dim for head on traffic ) What is wrong with using fogs with high beams.
Of course, lamps to rectify inadequate foreground light must be thoughtfully and carefully selected, correctly aimed and properly used. Otherwise, they're useless at best and dangerous at worst.

With that thought in mind, go for it, I'm sure that is what you wanted to hear.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, if you wanna wire up your fogs to your highs, then go for it don't let anyone talk you out of it. It's easy to do, shoot me a PM and I'll hook ya up.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK Guys ! I concede. I'm not trying to just add fuel to the fire. I'm just trying to learn and understand. I've been in the electrical field for many years now. So I do know a thing or two about lighting. Maybe just enough to be dangerous in this case. I'll have to do more research on this one.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that it would be best to just add a set of driving lights then. I am trying to get as much light way out front and around me when off road wooded areas with drop offs and such. Not concerned with driving down the road with them on with high lights.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beamme84
A lot of people want the foreground lighting when they have the highbeam on.
I did it because I wanted more foreground lighting with the low beams because the factory headlight beam pattern is poor. I wanted fogs on all the time without needing to pull out the stock switch. What came along with it, and I truly do not care if it did or did not in my case, is the fogs are on with high beam. What I was after was fogs on whenever parking or low beams were on. I certainly could figure a way they would not be on with the high beams (using an additional relay) but I do not care. Should a cop get unhappy, well I will make changes. But in my area there is hardly ever an opportunity to use high beam anyway.

http://home.comcast.net/~kingslea1/Jeep/FogMod.pdf

Last edited by redrunner; 10-22-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good write up looks, like I will just add another set of lights...
Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bad write up... Without all the opinions about legal issues or personal lighting techniques. How can you disable the fog cut off when brights are applied? For an outcome to have brights plus fogs on at the same time using the factory fog switch? Does anyone know how to achieve this?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah. Get another switch and relay, and wire your fogs separately to the new switch. Forget about the factory switch.

Quick Reply: Foglights on with high beams