Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Foglights on with high beams

Old 10-06-2010, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WilsonJK
i seen my buddy do it on his TJ but have yet to see how to do it on my JK any help would be nice as i realy want to do this
You need to think the design through.

Do you ever want the fogs to turn on seperately from the high beams?
Do you want the fogs to be wired to the high beams permanently?
Do you want to be able to shut off the fogs while the high beams are on?

All of the above are basically the same question, just different ways of thinking through the operation and functionality.

What is your goal? It is fairly easy to permanently wire the fogs to the highs, or wire up a seperate switch to control the factory fogs (might even be possible to use the factory fog switch but that woudl require some digging).
Old 10-06-2010, 03:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OnBelay
You need to think the design through.

Do you ever want the fogs to turn on seperately from the high beams?
Do you want the fogs to be wired to the high beams permanently?
Do you want to be able to shut off the fogs while the high beams are on?

All of the above are basically the same question, just different ways of thinking through the operation and functionality.

What is your goal? It is fairly easy to permanently wire the fogs to the highs, or wire up a seperate switch to control the factory fogs (might even be possible to use the factory fog switch but that woudl require some digging).
I can make it play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" if you want. Just takes time and money.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mopar wiring harness will let you hook up your lights with highbeam with a switch. It will not turn on unless your highbeems are on. (Since most lights are for offroad use only).
Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I would say have the fogs setup on their own switch and not even wired into the headlight setup.

This way you can turn them off and on when ever you want plus they will stay on highs or lows.

I have my fogs set to my lights on my superduty but it turns off with highs and it's all good since my lows provide foreground lighting and I just angled fogs to be between high and low beam coverage. Now I don't ever use high beams.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i take it this is not a simple bypass of a relay. it is canbus controlled?
want it to appear factory don't want another switch
Old 10-07-2010, 12:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rubi Russ
So i take it this is not a simple bypass of a relay. it is canbus controlled?
want it to appear factory don't want another switch
If you add in the relay. And switch it with the high beams. You will not necessarily need another switch. The only possible problem would be that you would get your fogs on everytime you switched on your high beams. You would have to add an "off" switch to have selectability over that issue. But I actualy aggree with the other guys. I do not believe that fogs are a good match for high beams. That is why I am currently running driving beams with my high beams. If you do a little research on beam patterns and their intended use, you will see what I mean. But if fogs are what you want. I will be more than happy to assist you.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wired my Hellas this way for a short time. I changed it back for many of the reasons/questions posted here. Also it's illegal. I'd suggest you wire a relay and an in cab switch to have them on or off depending on conditions (snow, fog, rain etc)
Old 10-07-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
I wired my Hellas this way for a short time. I changed it back for many of the reasons/questions posted here. Also it's illegal. I'd suggest you wire a relay and an in cab switch to have them on or off depending on conditions (snow, fog, rain etc)
I am very curious about the legal issues with opperating fog lights with high beams. No one seems to have a problem with operating other beam patterns with high beams. What is the diffrence? Some people say that it is a weather related issue. OK, then what are the atmospheric conditions that must exist befor you can legaly opperate your fogs? And How are we to know when the conditions have been met so that we can legaly use our fogs?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
I am very curious about the legal issues with opperating fog lights with high beams. No one seems to have a problem with operating other beam patterns with high beams. What is the diffrence? Some people say that it is a weather related issue. OK, then what are the atmospheric conditions that must exist befor you can legaly opperate your fogs? And How are we to know when the conditions have been met so that we can legaly use our fogs?
Most states have their own law about this. For example here in Pa, it is illegal to have your fogs on with the high beams, and on the other side of the coin, driving lights with low beams. ( this is normally checked during the required annual state inspection, at least to me) I would guess in states where it is illegal to marry your sister, is this way also, that is why in the stock configuration the fogs are set to go on with the lows, and automatically go off when you switch to high beam. This is for safety. Since the fog pattern is a wide beam and puts most of the light in the immediate foreground, having them on at night with the high beams would blind or dazzle an oncoming driver far more than the high beams alone (we all know we should switch to low beams when approching an oncoming vehicle), and possibly inhibit the driver of the vehicle with this setup on to see any great distance in front of him or her.
Using the fogs is pretty much a commen sense thing, and is dictated by the weather conditions. In a blinding rain, snow or heavy fog, the normal driver should slow down. Since the fog light has a very short wide pattern, this allows the driver to see directly in front of him providing he is driving at a safe speed for the conditions, as well as see the roadlines and markings off to the side. When these conditions arise, it might also be prudent to turn on the emergency flashers. This would allow any oncoming driver to see the object approaching him a bit better.
The standard for fog lights in the United States is SAE J583.

During a recent convention at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) the following was pointed out,

" Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather."

If you want a good read about fog lamps, look here. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 10-08-2010 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Removed hyperlink - See FAQ's
Old 10-07-2010, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Most states have their own law about this. For example here in Pa, it is illegal to have your fogs on with the high beams, and on the other side of the coin, driving lights with low beams. ( this is normally checked during the required annual state inspection, at least to me) I would guess in states where it is illegal to marry your sister, is this way also, that is why in the stock configuration the fogs are set to go on with the lows, and automatically go off when you switch to high beam. This is for safety. Since the fog pattern is a wide beam and puts most of the light in the immediate foreground, having them on at night with the high beams would blind or dazzle an oncoming driver far more than the high beams alone (we all know we should switch to low beams when approching an oncoming vehicle), and possibly inhibit the driver of the vehicle with this setup on to see any great distance in front of him or her.
Using the fogs is pretty much a commen sense thing, and is dictated by the weather conditions. In a blinding rain, snow or heavy fog, the normal driver should slow down. Since the fog light has a very short wide pattern, this allows the driver to see directly in front of him providing he is driving at a safe speed for the conditions, as well as see the roadlines and markings off to the side. When these conditions arise, it might also be prudent to turn on the emergency flashers. This would allow any oncoming driver to see the object approaching him a bit better.
The standard for fog lights in the United States is SAE J583.

During a recent convention at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) the following was pointed out,

" Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather."

If you want a good read about fog lamps, look here. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html
OK, Agreed, the law is "The Law". No matter how stupid. Like marrying our sisters or not being able to run fogs with high beams. I'll just be thankful that the law makers hear in my home town will let me do both at the same time if I so wish. But all kidding asside. I would never run my high beams in foggy weather. And I don't have a sister. So what does it matter if I want to use my fogs with my highs. What's the diffrence between that and any other beam pattern with highs. You can be ticketed for not dimming lights to on comming traffic anyway. I'll admit that I am one of those guys that so called "misuses fogs". But it's more the norm in my neck of the woods. And I would bet that the people that don't have them only wish they did. It's not against the law. It improves visibility. And therefore improves safety.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 10-08-2010 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Removed quoted hyperlink.

Quick Reply: Foglights on with high beams