Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fog lights

Old 01-11-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fog lights

Does anyone know if Piaa make a fog light upgrade bulb ?and do you guys know the part number? I found the upgrade headlight bulb but having a hard time with the fog light.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Idk about the PIAA, but the fog lights i believe are a standard H3 bulb so any H3 bulb at the auto parts store will work as long as it's 45 watt. PIAA makes 55 watt H3 bulbs, but I don't think that your stock wiring will support that or what you would need to add in able to make them work.

If you're looking for more light than the stock fog lights, look at the Pilot driving lights PL-203w from auto zone. I'm not sure about the 2009 model's wiring(hafta search the forum for the thread) but on my 2010 it was just out with the old and in with the new and woila, more than twice as much light as the stock foggers.
here's the thread for that if you're interested -
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...P-amp-PICTURES

They do mention sylvania stock fog light replacements at about post #9 or so.

here's them on amazon to let you know what to look for if you decide to go that way.
http://w w w.amazon.com/Pilot-Performance-Lighting-PL-203W-H-I-D/dp/B000HTYLSG

-zach
Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

^ what he said... if you put a higher wattage bulb down there be prepared for your light bulb to expand and possibly start a fire... i tried it foolishly once.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

it was pretty funny actually the bulb turned into this balloon looking thing, and it still worked... i was pretty lucky i caught it. i put the stock ones back in then installed some true yellow foglights for the white out conditions
Old 01-11-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Wow! What a trip! I just bought PIAA 520 fog lights to replace my OEM fogs that won't fit my aftermarket bumper. The 520s are 85 W. Now I know that I canNOT do plug and play with the stock wiring. The kit comes with both the wiring harness and relay. Now from the research I have done there are four options that I have for installation.

1) Just do the normal thing all the way to where you mount the aftermarket switch onto the dashboard.
2) Replace the wiring harness and relay up to the OEM switch so I can use the original switch to turn on the fog lights.
3) I read somewhere that you can just bypass the relay and splic the original wiring to the new wire with the 85 W relay.
4) Finally I reead where you can splice into the wire and have both the 85 W AND 55 W relays. That way, if I at some later date added a pair of 55 W driving lights then the OEM switch would turn on BOTH sets of lights- fog and driving which would be super sweet!!!

I am no electrician so any and all answers would be most humbly appreciated!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default New to this forum and to the Jeep world.

Just hooked up some new fogs on my 2010 Unlimited Sport and the indicator light on the fog light switch stays on. Im running it off of the battery but will this light staying on drain my battery?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by warbi
Wow! What a trip! I just bought PIAA 520 fog lights to replace my OEM fogs that won't fit my aftermarket bumper. The 520s are 85 W. Now I know that I canNOT do plug and play with the stock wiring. The kit comes with both the wiring harness and relay. Now from the research I have done there are four options that I have for installation.

1) Just do the normal thing all the way to where you mount the aftermarket switch onto the dashboard.
2) Replace the wiring harness and relay up to the OEM switch so I can use the original switch to turn on the fog lights.
3) I read somewhere that you can just bypass the relay and splic the original wiring to the new wire with the 85 W relay.
4) Finally I reead where you can splice into the wire and have both the 85 W AND 55 W relays. That way, if I at some later date added a pair of 55 W driving lights then the OEM switch would turn on BOTH sets of lights- fog and driving which would be super sweet!!!

I am no electrician so any and all answers would be most humbly appreciated!
You realy do not have that many options. There is no OEM relay. The lights are controlled by the computer. Any load above the OEM specs will be determined as a FAULT. And the system will not work.
So your choices are now:
1) Install the aftermarket lights, harness and relay. And have your OEM switch turn them on. OR
2) Install the aftermarket lights, harness and relay. And have a new switch turn them on.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Riptide
Did you use the stock switch/wiring to trigger the relay? Perhaps the CPU is thinking that the fog lights are out? IDK.
Fogs came with their own harness. Not hooked up to factory at all. They come on when i press the switch that came the fogs. The only thing is when i turn the car off the indicator light on the switch stays on. Will this little light drain my battery since thats where im powering from?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Graceman
Fogs came with their own harness. Not hooked up to factory at all. They come on when i press the switch that came the fogs. The only thing is when i turn the car off the indicator light on the switch stays on. Will this little light drain my battery since thats where im powering from?
Must be something new with the newer Jeeps. Maybe a "lamp out" indicator.

Quick Reply: Fog lights