Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fixing the JK

Old 09-08-2019, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing the JK

I bought a used 2012 Rubicon a few months ago.. and have been throwing money and parts at it since, all in an effort to fix what has been done to the poor thing over the last 7 years.
I'm slowly getting the suspension dialed back in, after a 2" coil lift was thrown at it without any kind of control arms, shocks, track bars... You get the idea.
I'm also having to piece together the interior.. trim pieces, dash panels.. and my favorite so far, the "off road" switch that was taken along with the wiring harness being robbed of the plug.
I've got the front end pretty much finished.. and now I'm turning my attention to the rear suspension.. and try to track down the 6 pin connector for that dang off road switch.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry for the stupid question - but what is this off-road switch you're talking about?

Did the previous owner wire in a momentary switch to kill your ABS / Nanny controls ?
Old 09-10-2019, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

It's the sway bar disconnect/ front and rear axle locker switches that are on the jk Rubicon.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I noticed some similar was done to a JL that I was inspecting. I do not understand why people remove/disconnect the switch? On my case, the cable was Cut at the Differential Plug. My question is, what is the reasoning behind it?
Old 09-11-2019, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Most times it's the motor that's gone bad on the sway bar.. and they disconnect it to get the code to go away or put a manual pull release on it.. in my case, it sat at an auction yard and someone pried the switch out and cut the pig tail off in the dash... Probably to replace one that someone else removed or stole.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

I see, what a botched job !
Old 09-11-2019, 12:04 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by JEEPPIE
On my case, the cable was Cut at the Differential Plug. My question is, what is the reasoning behind it?
Can't speak to your particular situation, but a lot of times, especially with rubi axles, they are pulled and swapped to someone else. It's common to leave the buyer the harness at the diff which means snipping the lines. Same with the e-discos. If the units don't die first, a lot of people will remove em and sell them as they fetch a decent amount....again, snipping wires and sending the harness.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Well, on this Jeep, there is a plug on the Differential, cable cut and dangling from the top. Like some one took a pair of wire cutters and snipped the wires.

Last edited by JEEPPIE; 09-11-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Fixing the JK