Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fix for soundbar speakers?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
Delivery is back ordered until 7/03!!!! better hurry
Mine took a few days and had to come out of the Milwakee P.C.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Duds
BS, we all paid for an upgraded, "premium" sound system that sounds like sh*t.
Have you listened to the stock system?
Old 11-23-2008, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Guys,

The sound bar is crossed over at the infinity amp at about 100 - 125Hz.

Unfortunately if adding an after market system you can not put a high to low level tap in before the amp as the signal between the head unit and the infinity amp does not vary with volume. The volume is controlled at the amp via CAN bus communication between the head unit and infinity amp. This includes bass, treble, mid, balance and fader control.

There is also no full range output from the Infinity amp.

There are 8 channels.

2 channels - front tweeters - high pass filter
2 channels - Front mids - low pass filter
2 channels - Sound bar speakers - high pass filter
2 channels - Sub - low pass filter

This was determined by inputing various frequencies from 15000Hz to 30Hz and monitoring what signal came out at each set of speakers.

The sub is crossed over at about 100 - 125Hz with a low pass filter and the sound bar at 100 - 125Hz with a high pass filter.

My suggestion if you are adding a sub is to tap into the front mid speakers which only cuts out the very high tweeter frequencies.

If you are adding a split system powered by a aftermarket amp to the front i would suggest getting a four channel amplifier and using 2 channels for the tweeters and 2 channels for the mids. Then tap into the front tweeters with a low level converter and run rcas to the amp channels which power your new tweeters. Then tap into the front mids with a low level converter and and run rcas to the amp channels powering your new mids. You wont use the crossovers provided in the new split system set as the crossover will be done at the infinity amp and this will give you a full range sound at the front.

Alternatively some four channel amps have a pre-out which combines the signals into the 2 left channels and the 2 right channels. This is perfect as you can combine the low level signals from the infinity front tweeters and the infinity front mids and get a full rage signal.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Default fix for better yet replace the plastic sound bar ?

I replaced the crappy factory sound bar spearkers in my 07 4 dr JK with kicker speakers . it doesnt sound any better then the blown factory ones.. and it seems to me that the plastic housing no matter what we do is still going to sound no good. does any body make an entire replacement sound bar with quality speaker sound in mind ?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jeeper4life
I replaced the crappy factory sound bar spearkers in my 07 4 dr JK with kicker speakers . it doesnt sound any better then the blown factory ones.. and it seems to me that the plastic housing no matter what we do is still going to sound no good. does any body make an entire replacement sound bar with quality speaker sound in mind ?
UUMM,, That is weird, I changed the speakers in the front dash and the sound bar speakers as well of my JK 3 months ago with the Mopar Kicker Speakers, and the sound is 100 times better. The weight of the Mopar / Kicker Speakers is a major difference and also the build quality. As far as the sound bar speakers, I used the radio's fadder adjustment to put more power to the back speakers, while turning up the main volume up a little to compensate the all around sound ,,,,,,,works great for me. It is not a music box on wheels, but it sounds a hell of a lot better than stock.

SLIM_SNOOPY
Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's my two cents.... I recently swapped my stock sub with 2 12's and the front and soundbar speakers came too life. I think the stock infinity sub steals a lot of power from the amp.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fix is to install a Dodge Nitro amp in place of the stock JK amp. Total plug and play upgrade. Then the speakers play full sound. I have has this setup for over 2 years and couldn't be happier.

Only one downfall before you take your JK to the dealership you have to swap the stock amp back in. Other wise when the mechanic plugs i the starscan into the OBD2 port they will flash the JK settings to the Nitro amp and you will be back to square one.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

All in all no matter what we do the sound bar is going to sound like poo.

I had hell of a time today. Instead of getting the mopar kick speaker. There was a deal for some alpine at my local bestbuy. So I got the wires all up and going. And ready to mount, yeah disappointed lol it didn't fit correctly. I shouldve done some research. Not only the bracket didn't go in, it was a 4 ohm speaker and we need the 2? I read some where. Grrr that's what I get for being cheap and buying an open box item.

Conclusion I'm very pissed of lol at myself and sound bar. Any ways I'm just going to run a 4 channel amp. And any stock infinity stuff can go in the trash. Who knew i should've ask for the basic sound system.

By the way I got one speaker in the sound bar. And it sounds a bit better. The other speaker is paper weight
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whpony96
The fix is to install a Dodge Nitro amp in place of the stock JK amp. Total plug and play upgrade. Then the speakers play full sound. I have has this setup for over 2 years and couldn't be happier.

Only one downfall before you take your JK to the dealership you have to swap the stock amp back in. Other wise when the mechanic plugs i the starscan into the OBD2 port they will flash the JK settings to the Nitro amp and you will be back to square one.
Like this one on eBay?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-494541015.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	210832  

Quick Reply: Fix for soundbar speakers?