Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fix for soundbar speakers?

Old 03-02-2007, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix for soundbar speakers?

Has anyone tried to figure out what is limiting the output to the soundbar speakers? This is driving me nuts. I have the Infinity system (stock on Sahara) with the 6disc dvd HU. If you fade to the rear speakers, ther is barely any sound being produced at all. I read that this was done because the speakers would resonate the soundbar too much, so Jeep limited the output to them.

Well I don't care how much the soundbar vibrates, I WANT MY VOLUME!

It's not that the system sounds bad, it's ok, but not great for stock. It's more that I know it could sound better, and I feel like I'm getting short changed.

I plan on tearing into it this weekend to see if there is a physical setting on the amp, HU or even something on the speakers, but my guess is that it is the head unit that is programmed to limit the output to the rear speakers. I hope this is not the case. Upgrading the rear speakers would seem pointless if the output to them is limited.

If anyone has any info on this, lets hear it. I'll post my findings(if there are any) after I check it out.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

^ 2x what he said - I'm very interested in this as well.

I have the same Sahara radio setup (6DVD HU), and the same questions... when I faded the bias to the rear, it pretty much killed my sound. Why even bother having soundbar speakers if you're going to choke them to death? I am not mechanically- or electronically-savvy enough to attempt anything on my own here, but would like to know what can be done to get the most out of what SHOULD be a kick-$ss stock system...
Old 03-02-2007, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Ditto on a "fix".

Search for soundbar speakers, there has been at least one, if not several threads already discussing what was done....might lend itself to some possible tries for you on a fix.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Ok, I read thru all the threads with soundbar in the search results. Here's the only info I found that seemed to relate to this fix.

Originally Posted by shredX
Here's the PM he sent me....

Hi there, I ran across your post in the forum regarding aftermarket installation into the JK soundbar. I helped design the Infinity premium system in JK.

Just so you know, due to a poor quality soundbar, changes were made in the vehicle EQ's to drastically reduce levels of lower frequencies for the soundbar woofers. The EQ is done in the Head Unit for the base system and in the amplifier for the premium. The light in the middle of the soundbar is one of the many culprits that will start buzzing.

I'd be interested in reviewing your feedback as well as helping out with any questions you may have.

So now the trick is to figure out what they did, and if we can change it ourselves.
I'm going to pull the amp tomorrow and have a look. If I can't find any way to change the settings myself, I'll probably try to get some info from DCX, who I'm sure will refer me to my dealer, who I'm sure won't have a clue.

Does anyone know if the FSM has any info on the stock stereo systems?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to the crappy manual:

"DESCRIPTION
The amplifier is located under the steering column behind the steering column opening cover. The amplifier can not be adjusted or repaired. If faulty the unit as a whole must be replaced.

OPERATION
The amplifier receives fused battery current from a fuse in the rear Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) at all times. The internal circuitry of the amplifier switches the amplifier ON based upon a CAN bus message that is received from the radio receiver whenever the radio is turned on. The amplifier receives the sound signal inputs from the radio, then sends the amplified outputs to the speakers."

I havent popped the panel to look at it, maybe there is something that can be adjusted, or dissassemble it and turn a pot here or there... I really dont know. I personally wont be messing with it, i am happy with the radio as is for my purposes. The electrical portion of the manual doesnt work, so maybe someone else can help with a scheme.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

I think i remember reading on another thread that in the stock system the head unit was the culprit and would have to be replaced if you wanted it fixed, and the amp is the culprit with the infinity system and would have to also be replaced if you wanted to fix the speaker issue. If it can be adjusted that'd be awesome, but I dont think it can be. I have a feeling replacement is the only thing that will get some kick in the soundbar... :(
Old 03-02-2007, 01:47 PM
JK Super Freak

well replacing the amp would not be out of the realm of possibilities, but if an adjustment could be made to the factory without replacement, would be better....money could better be spent on upgrading the speakers themselves...even adding some sound matting to the sound bar.

Will be interested in seeing if you can figure anything out....I would say I would go have me a look, but well, there is an issue with my Jeep not being built yet....
Old 03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sounds like it might just be easier to buy a couple of hearing aids and turn them up all the way. But that wouldn't drown out your wife. In fact, it would make her come through louder too! keep working on it guys.!
Old 03-02-2007, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Smile

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I sounds like it might just be easier to buy a couple of hearing aids and turn them up all the way. But that wouldn't drown out your wife. In fact, it would make her come through louder too! keep working on it guys.!
Old 03-03-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

So I pulled the amp, but no good news.:sad:
It's pretty basic, just a circuit board, heat sinc and harness connections.

No settings that I can see anywhere. I traced as much of the wiring as i could, and pulled a rear speaker, and no bass blocker that I could find.

I think if the amp is what is limiting the output, it could easily be replaced.
It's a great location/setup where they have the factory amp installed, with room for a slightly lareger amp.

It would just suck though to go to the trouble of replacing the amp, only to find out it's the HU limiting the output.

I guess I'll think about this one for a while, maybe write DCX and tell them I want ALL the watts I paid for.

Quick Reply: Fix for soundbar speakers?