Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Failing key chip sensor?

Old 02-08-2022, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failing key chip sensor?

I have had two recurring and intermittent issues, which I believe are related. I've searched them on forums before, but haven't joined any forums until now. This think is rapidly degrading, so here we are. I have the Mopar lifetime warranty, but the local dealers seem incapable of both finding problems and fixing them, so I'm hoping y'all can help me hold their hands through the process.

- The alarm light flashes, usually while I am driving, for days at a time, and then will stop. I do not have an alarm (or remote fob), factory or otherwise. I have read that this is the key chip reader/sensor failing.

- It will refuse to start. Lights come on, radio, a/c, all that, clutch is in... turn the key and the "alarm light" comes on. After several tries, it'll finally work perfectly and the light won't come on. I am assuming this is related to the key chip reader/sensor as well.

How easy, or difficult, is this to replace? Where is the part/module? And how much is it?

Alternatively, can this be defeated or bypassed?

I'd like to get this addressed before it's a total failure and I am stranded, which is probably the only time that the dealer will bother to honor the warranty, maybe.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:38 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

so if you try a totally different key, same result? ie, it's the module and not the chipped key itself?
Old 02-08-2022, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
so if you try a totally different key, same result? ie, it's the module and not the chipped key itself?
I haven't tested that yet. Had it not worked the last time I tried it this morning, then I would have gone and gotten the other original key... where ever I put it. I will have it handy for the next time it fails. I haven't read anything about those going bad yet. Not saying they don't, I just haven't happened to see it. If it is the case that keys fail regularly, then I'd definitely like to find a way to bypass the whole system.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:59 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

I have not experienced it myself, but I have seen others on here have issues with the chip in the key specifically. I can't help with bypassing the system, but if it does happen to just be a key going out, you can program your own keys with the Jscan app and a BT dongle. People have been buying inexpensive keys off Ebay/AMZN and programming with Jscan.......rather than be held subject to the dealer charging hundreds for a key and to program it. Keep that extra key handy to test with next time it happens. That should at least be pretty telling which end is the real issue.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I have not experienced it myself, but I have seen others on here have issues with the chip in the key specifically. I can't help with bypassing the system, but if it does happen to just be a key going out, you can program your own keys with the Jscan app and a BT dongle. People have been buying inexpensive keys off Ebay/AMZN and programming with Jscan.......rather than be held subject to the dealer charging hundreds for a key and to program it. Keep that extra key handy to test with next time it happens. That should at least be pretty telling which end is the real issue.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into that. It will at least be a temporary fix until I can bypass/remove the system. My brain can't accept a key failing... kind of like the sun visors that are falling off and manual mirror that fell off... it's just unacceptable.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Now I know I'm reaching here - but over the course of my build I've had to 'kill' the electrics in my truck to clear memories / reset crap.

And each time I've had to reset stuff, I've had to go out of my way to keep my key a fair distance away from the truck so as the truck wouldn't still be in contact with it.

I think if you carry your spare key with you, you may not get an accurate read on things - your truck may be reading either one of your keys.- the one in the ignition or the one in your pocket.

I think resharp's suggestion is solid - ya just have to keep the second key isolated until you can swap out the keys in such a way as to be sure which key fob your truck is reading.

My two cents ...

Neville
Old 02-10-2022, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Creepy Neville
Now I know I'm reaching here - but over the course of my build I've had to 'kill' the electrics in my truck to clear memories / reset crap.

And each time I've had to reset stuff, I've had to go out of my way to keep my key a fair distance away from the truck so as the truck wouldn't still be in contact with it.

I think if you carry your spare key with you, you may not get an accurate read on things - your truck may be reading either one of your keys.- the one in the ignition or the one in your pocket.

I think resharp's suggestion is solid - ya just have to keep the second key isolated until you can swap out the keys in such a way as to be sure which key fob your truck is reading.

My two cents ...

Neville
Yes, that's the plan. By "getting my other key" I mean have it somewhat handy. If I had the problem again tomorrow, it would take my 15 minutes to find it. I'm got going to be carrying a whole second set of keys around with me everywhere. Also, I am pretty sure the Jeep only reads the key physically inserted in the cylinder.

Just to reiterate, I do not have key fobs. (no alarm, manual locks)
Old 02-10-2022, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Just switch keys and use the other key for the next couple of weeks, if the problem goes away then you know you have a bad key. If the problem remains then it is the module. I don't think you can bypass the module due to the computer.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeff Pillsworth
Just switch keys and use the other key for the next couple of weeks, if the problem goes away then you know you have a bad key. If the problem remains then it is the module.
It's not that consistent. Same reason I've been limping the transmission along for 37K with failing synchros. It never seems to go wrong at the dealer, but it'll leave me stranded at bad times or come out of gear in oncoming traffic. I thought buying a Jeep would have different kinds of adventures than this.

Originally Posted by Jeff Pillsworth
I don't think you can bypass the module due to the computer.
If that's the case, I'll either cash in the warranty and fix everything so it's reliable since Mopar won't, or just sell it and buy an old Crown Vic. I'm hoping there's at least something that can be created to falsify the presence of a key, as far as the ECM is concerned.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Update:
It was finally doing it consistently enough for me to test the other key.
It still does it. Since the other key has been unused since new, I'll assume whatever sensor or reader onboard the Jeep is failing.

Quick Reply: Failing key chip sensor?