Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

factory sound processors.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question factory sound processors.

i want to keep my stock head unit, but i want to add the speakers and amps i have sitting around from a previous vehicle. so lets talk about factory sound processors. ive been eyeing the jl cleansweep. anyone have any experience with the JL version or any other companies sound processor?
Old 10-20-2009, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...you realize how much those processors cost, right?...often way more than a quality aftermarket receiver...plus I'm assuming you want to add an amp and your speakers to improve sound quality as well as use them because they are just sitting around? Also consider that sound processors can only process the sound from the source signal, which in your case will be from the factory radio... An analogy is the relationship between over the air HDTV signals, analog TVs, and converter boxes...spend the money on a new deck...if you're worried about security a good professional install can use your factory radio to hide the new one...
Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 PM
JK Junkie

my jeep is outside topless a lot. the stock radio has held up nicely with the dew, rain, mud, dust, bird crap and what have you, that has worked its way into all the little crevasses on the head unit. i had a little issue with some clay getting two of the buttons to stick, but in time that worked itself out.

i would imagine most aftermarket decks would start losing their dependability after sitting in my rig. and besides, no thief wants a stock base model radio!

i have a jl 300/4 and 500/1 that i will be using until i can find a deal on a single 5 channel amp that i can hide behind the dash.

prices for the processors arent bad, ive seen them from $150 up to $400ish. the cleansweep is right in the middle.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

How can you use the factory radio to hide the new one? Pictures??
Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

been down this road already.....if your factory stereo has an amp forget about it....the factory amp crosses over the sound and sends it to the tweeters in front, and mids in front and then sends only mid to the rear and lows only go to the sub....there are no processors unless they just came out that will allow separate mid, tweet and sub as well as F to R fader and the problem with a JK is that the rears are just too damn loud without a fader...it just becomes more hassle than its worth...plus a piece like the clean sweep is definetly not the most trail, dust, moisture friendly....

IMHO just go buy yourself a decent Quality MARINE head unit and mount it up for likely the same price as the clean sweep and dont worry about thieves or the elements with a marine piece....
Old 10-21-2009, 05:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clarion makes some marine head units that have waterproof faces and sealed stainless steel chassis. About the only way to mess it up is to submerge it completely in water or take a water hose to the rear of it where the wires are. Even the Units with LCD screens on them are watertight. Check it:

If you submerge your jeep to the dash (I dunno how you could and still drive it) then you could get a unit like this, and leave the factory one in place. I think you can just about install this one under water. It would also be ez to trick a thief with... but I would use a traditional style head unit if it was me.

This is a standard "single-din" head unit. It has a water resistant face and stainless steel chassis. Even has detachable face for when the top is off.

If you are in love with your factory head unit and set on getting a processor I suggest you check out the rockford fosgate 3sixty. You can get version one on ebay for under $200 and the only difference between it and the current version 2 is that you connect your laptop or PDA to it with a USB cable instead of bluetooth. All the EQ and crossover and stuff are set with your computer. You will never get the sound you really want unless you use a new head unit.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

i have the base radio, not the infinity upgrade. so correct me if im wrong, but i dont think i have a factory amp.

the clean sweep is not exposed to the elements as much as a head unit would be. it will be hidden inside the dash.

dont care for the white faced marine units. im sure they are good for water and salt, but im weary about how they would hold up to mud and clay.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk

If you are in love with your factory head unit and set on getting a processor I suggest you check out the rockford fosgate 3sixty.
i wouldnt say im in love with the factoy head unit, i like how bland and unattractive it is.

haha.

what i would really like to do, is to keep the factory unit and disconnect it, but use an aftermarket hidden head unit as the source.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like the processor idea... go for it. It will make a cool write up, if you don't mind taking the time to shoot some photos and stuff. You are right, there is no amp in the base model radio. If you don't have a sub in the back then your speakers are all pushed by your radio in the dash.

Keep in mind that you are going to need a multi-channel amplifier (or two) depending on what speakers you plan to add. you will need at minimum a 4 channel amp. If you want a sub you will need a 5 channel or a 4 channel and a sub amp. If you want to keep it all in the dash you can get a PDX-5 by alpine and it will fit in the stock location under the steering wheel. You will have to do the amp and the processor at the same time since the processor only has pre-amp output. I like the RF over the clean sweep personally. The clean sweep really has mulitple pieces if you want all of its features. One is signal summing, one for processing... etc. The fosgate has one box and a wired remote (it can be used for master volume or sub control)

Last edited by bigbluejk; 10-21-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:13 PM
JK Junkie

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2009-Rockford-Fosgate-3SIXTY-1-signal-processor_W0QQitemZ150379748186QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230354db5a

so this one has the title of 3sixty.1 but in the item description it says
handheld Palm® 5.0 or higher device with Bluetooth® capability required for making system adjustments
listed for $179. i dont think i have any bluetooth devices.

now this one shows a comm port...

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-3SIXTY-1-DIGITAL-SOUND-PROCESSOR_W0QQitemZ110397478237QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b433d55d

listed for $180.50

Last edited by mikeyfl; 10-21-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: factory sound processors.