Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

factory fog hook up

Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anybody have a wiring diagram for that? i am doing the same thing, and don't want melt any wires or upset the computer

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
The power for the relay should come from the battery ( with a "fusible link" of the correct size ).
The switch for the relay can come from the original Fog Light wires ( with a fusible link also ).
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM
JK Newbie

I recently added two set of kc slimlites to my jeep that I wired up to be activated by factory switch but get their power by the supplied relay in the kit. All that my factory harness is doing is activating the relay.

I'm just getting off work but I can get a diagram drawn tomorrow and get it posted for y'all to see. It really isn't all that difficult if your lights came with a wiring harness. In that case you would wire it up just as instructed except for the switch portion which you just run the factory hot wire to the relay post that you would have wired the switch too.

I hope that helps somewhat for now but I'll get a diagram for y'all tomorrow if no one beats me to it.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by robarham
I recently added two set of kc slimlites to my jeep that I wired up to be activated by factory switch but get their power by the supplied relay in the kit. All that my factory harness is doing is activating the relay.

I'm just getting off work but I can get a diagram drawn tomorrow and get it posted for y'all to see. It really isn't all that difficult if your lights came with a wiring harness. In that case you would wire it up just as instructed except for the switch portion which you just run the factory hot wire to the relay post that you would have wired the switch too.

I hope that helps somewhat for now but I'll get a diagram for y'all tomorrow if no one beats me to it.
I did that in my old Sahara.... Just ran a wire from relay to the factory fog lamp and BAM! lights were hooked up to factory switch....
Old 10-24-2012, 08:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
The power through the relay contacts should come from the battery ( with a "fusible link" of the correct size ).
The switch for the relay coil can come from the original Fog Light wires ( with a fusible link also ).
Fixed it for ya.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Fixed it for ya.
Thanks. I think that a lot of people don't understand how a relay works anyway. . All those people see is: Power to switch. Power to relay.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bignose13
does anybody have a wiring diagram for that? i am doing the same thing, and don't want melt any wires or upset the computer
This is the basic concept. The accessory circuit would connect to the OE foglight circuit. And remove the switch from this drawing.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wired a set of Delta HID Fogs to the stock wiring on my 2013 and they worked fine. However, to be safe, I did buy a relay with an inline fuse and wired it that way just in case. Instead of using the factory switch I opted for the A-pillar pod from Rugged Ridge and bought 3 switches. I have my HID fogs, rear lights in my bumper and my PIAA 520's wired to these switches. I was originally going to do the factory switch control for my Delta's but didn't like when using high beam how it cut the fogs out. And yes before anyone says anything I know it's against the law. My trucklites are bright enough to where I rarely ever need Hi beams anyways.

Quick Reply: factory fog hook up