Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ExtremeAire Compressor - Anyone have one?

Old 11-02-2009, 04:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ExtremeAire Compressor - Anyone have one?

Has anyone tried this compressor?

Tech Specs:

- Continuous duty cycle
- 3/4 horsepower motor
- 30-amp draw at 35psi
- 40-amp draw at 150psi
- 4 cfm free flow rate
- 150psi max working pressure
- Can be mounted upside down
- 14" long, 6" wide, 9", tall

It's not inexpensive, but seems quite reasonably priced for the amount of volume that it delivers. It wouldn't run air tools on it's own, but it'd be worth a shot if you have a tank (or tanks).
Old 11-03-2009, 01:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much $$$$
Old 11-03-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

$415 If I recall correctly.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by w squared
$415 If I recall correctly.
Wow! That an expensive compressor. I got my Viair 380c for $160 and it is continuous duty and has performed well. Granted it doesn't have as high of an output as this one.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by midwesterner
Wow! That an expensive compressor. I got my Viair 380c for $160 and it is continuous duty and has performed well. Granted it doesn't have as high of an output as this one.
Yup, it's expensive. But it'll also put out two or three times what most ViAir compressors do. With a tank added you could run air tools and QUICKLY fill 35's. MY current compressor was a good deal, but it does leave me twiddling my thumbs while filling my 32's.

To get a comparable output, you would need to get a Warn PowerPlant, one of the rather pricey Warn V-Twin DC compressors, a Kilby system with a York engine-driven compressor, or a CO2 system. Or you could use three mid-range ViAir compressors in parallel.

It's also got a 100% duty cycle - a big plus in my books. Most of the time a 33% or 50% duty cycle is just fine, provided that your first "on" cycle will is long enough to fill all your tires...but what happens when your buddy wants air, or you've got a long-duration trail repair using air tools on your hands?

That 100% duty cycle is not a make-or-break...but it's worth paying a bit of a premium for.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Take a look at the Smittybilt dual compressor, around $150 on 4WD.com

I don't recall the specs now but when I was comparing it is way more powerful than other more expensive compressors and on-board air systems. I've been very impressed with it quickly airing up my 35s.

Easy to use, connects to battery, has attachments for air mattress etc and tightly folds into the provided storage bag.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got my Viair Constant Duty kit from Dave at Northridge for VERY cheap. 100% duty cycle on the 450C compressor, and a 2.5 gallon tank. I can fill up my 33's from 15 to 35 in about a minute. It will run air tools, and a potato gun like a mofo... The whole kit was way under the $415 for that compressor you posted.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by westchester
Take a look at the Smittybilt dual compressor, around $150 on 4WD.com

I don't recall the specs now but when I was comparing it is way more powerful than other more expensive compressors and on-board air systems. I've been very impressed with it quickly airing up my 35s.

Easy to use, connects to battery, has attachments for air mattress etc and tightly folds into the provided storage bag.
I've seen it. It's a good deal, but less air than I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by CitadelJeep04
I got my Viair Constant Duty kit from Dave at Northridge for VERY cheap. 100% duty cycle on the 450C compressor, and a 2.5 gallon tank. I can fill up my 33's from 15 to 35 in about a minute. It will run air tools, and a potato gun like a mofo... The whole kit was way under the $415 for that compressor you posted.
Yup - the 450C is nice. Good quality product, 100% duty cycle, good price pooint. It also tops out at 1.6 CFM. That's about one third of the volume that I'm looking for.

I've done my research, I've comparison shopped...all I want to know is if anyone has actually used one of these puppies, or their big brother with the 1.5 horse motor.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

I looked at these, they are a little closer to the viair than you claim. The 4cfm is free flow, but IIRC, the 1.6cfm from viair is at 40psi. Big difference. Once at pressure the extreme air is much lower than 4cfm. Prolly about 2.

Quick Reply: ExtremeAire Compressor - Anyone have one?