Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Explain this kit

Old 07-14-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain this kit

So everything I have read says use a relay and at least 14awg wiring for AUX lights.

So today I received my KC lights and the "included" wiring kit had no relay and used 18awg wire. Is it another example of a company "cheeping" out on components, or are people really over building wiring for lights?

I am installing a RR A Pillar switch pod and while not connecting all the switches to anything yet I am pre-wiring the switches for future lights.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCheney
So everything I have read says use a relay and at least 14awg wiring for AUX lights.

So today I received my KC lights and the "included" wiring kit had no relay and used 18awg wire. Is it another example of a company "cheeping" out on components, or are people really over building wiring for lights?

I am installing a RR A Pillar switch pod and while not connecting all the switches to anything yet I am pre-wiring the switches for future lights.
As long as the current ratings are not exceded on the electrical deviceses and wiring, then there isn't realy an argument for "Right" and "Wrong". But, as usual, there is always room for improvement. The logic behind the relay is to keep higher current carrying devices out of the cab. And to shorten the distances of the current carrying systems. This makes opperating these systems more efficient and safer.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 07-14-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Explain this kit