Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Engine codes p0520 and P06DE

Old 04-06-2018, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to let everyone know of my experience to maybe help someone in the future. I had received the code P06DE on my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. If you watched the digital pressure gauge, it was running very high, mostly staying above 80# and reaching the over 100# when getting on it. Pressure going up is not a problem at high rpm but pressure staying up is. After research I had my local mechanic replace my oil sending unit which did not fix the problem. I then brought it to the Jeep dealer who said it was running high but didn't see a problem with it. I told them to replace the oil pump because I was pretty sure that the solenoid or relay that switches the pump from high pressure to low pressure was stuck on high. After the pump replacement, the oil pressure is steady at around 40#, unless getting on it in which it will go up but immediately lower back to normal like it should. So my P06DE code was the oil pump which after two estimates was $1100. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Pedro Javier Diaz (06-11-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding info in case it helps others... My 2015 JKUR with 38k miles just started doing this a couple days after an oil change with synthetic. It has never had errors before, and never had synthetic before. I got the P06DE only, while passing a car on the highway at full throttle/RPM. I cleared it a day later, and it hasn't come back. The oil pressure itself was always normal, varying from the mid-30s at idle to the 50s range at speed.

Last edited by SwampNut; 05-06-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll just chime in myself here to say on my 2015 JK I have been throwing that code (P06DE) for some time now. I currently just passed 88k miles and I've had synthetic oil from the first oil change. I've done all the oil changes myself. The oil pressure according to the comp readout adjusts up and down normally with driving and is never really that high unless I'm full throttle. Even then I don't recall ever seeing it go over 75 or 80. Anyway, I'm wondering if I should switch back to dino oil at this point and clear the code. ? I know that on higher mileage vehicles you aren't supposed to go from dino to synthetic but I don't think it matters the other way around.

Anyway just chiming in.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

On my 2016 I got the P0520 code back in like August of 2019. I cleared it and never saw it again. Fast forward to just a couple days ago, I got the P06DE code. Last oil change is close to 1k miles ago. I noticed when it came up again on the highway that oil pressure was reading at 62# but if I let off it would drop like it should. Idle was 27#. What do you all think?
Old 09-09-2020, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

I had the P0520 code pop up last night and when checking with the dash method that is the only code I saw. None of the P06DE code that many see along with it. Did those that saw the second code actually have that pop up on the dash or was that after checking it with a code reader?
Old 09-21-2020, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok gents,

Here's my experience on the matter.

​​​​​​I drive a 2012 JKU (bought new) and I've talked up 106k miles on it to date.
I've had the proverbial clicketing sound of the rockers since ... Almost always.
I've always serviced it on schedule.
A year ago I was advised by the Jeep service center I go to, to switch to 5W30 ... So I did ... (5 oil changes ago) .
Recently it's been throwing P0520 error code ...
And then the list started growing from there ...
- P0522 ... P06DE ... And now P0016 (crankshaft position sensor) which is apparently related and happens when oil pressure is inconsistent.

​​​​resetting the codes is very short lived (obviously) ...
I went ahead and changed the crankshaft sensor (since it was easier) ... P0016 came back almost immediately ... Which rules out a faulty crankshaft sensor.
At the service center when data streaming with a proper scan tool ... It clearly shows that oil pressure drops @ idle ... And is in the 80 - 90 range @2000 rpm.
A compression test was also performed on all cylinders ... 3 cylinders are way too low.
Replacing the oil pump and oil pressure sensor (expensive) on a failing engine would be a waste of money (around 2000 $) .
At this point I'm not even considering a fix.
A refurbished crate engine is about 3000$.
It's a hard decision, I know, but necessary

Conclusion : your P0520 & P06DE problem is probably an indication of a WAYYY bigger than just Changing an oil pressure sensor.

Last edited by desertbuzz; 09-21-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Post HELP! P06DE Code!

Hey! I have the same code and says my high oil pressure switch is stuck on ....my mechanic says he can work on it Monday and says if I drive it, it won't ruin my engine. What are your thoughts?
Old 01-25-2022, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jcw
The code came back on again and this time with both codes mentioned above, so it wasn't the oil. It did take a long time for the CEL light to come back on again so I was confident it was the oil at first. I changed the oil pressure sensor and did the plugs and the belt also seeing how it's 4 years old. That did nothing to clear the CEL light at all. The Jeep dealership said it could be a bad sensor right out of the box new. So after the all day nightmare of replacing it myself the first time I had the dealership do it this time. Believe me that is not easy or fun to replace that sensor, no way I was doing that again. The CEL is still on after the dealership changed it so I left it there and they can't seem to find the issue. They've had it for 6 days straight and still no solution on how to turn off those 2 codes yet. I finally had to take it back and bring it through emission which it failed because of the CEL being on. I have no answer how to fix this, but hoping someone does.
Hello. I was wondering if you solved your problem. I am having the same issue after changing the whole oil filter housing. The car is running fine, but after 3 weeks I make the change, the check engine light come back again. I don't know what to do. Please, give me some advice if is possible. Thank you
Old 03-21-2022, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Angry Code P0520

I have a 2013 JK Sport with 93k miles. A week after getting the spark plugs changed out for the first time, I get the P0520 code. Took it back to my local mechanic who has worked on all of my Jeeps hooks up his computer and tell me the oil pressure reads 80psi even with the ENGINE OFF! WTH? With the motor running it read 86psi. Now reading this thread about different oil issues and codes concerns me. My friend who works at Auto Zone told me when he entered the code into their computer it brought up the head gasket and a pellum gasket. Could it just be a gasket that is sending a false code? Maybe the gasket didn't seal when they put it back together after changing the spark plugs? Ugh.

Quick Reply: Engine codes p0520 and P06DE