Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Electrical total freakout - HELP!

Old 07-31-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical total freakout - HELP!

I have an 08 X
This evening while taking the family out to get an ice cream the following happened:
suddenly my wipers slowly came on, then the horn began sounding and the washers began spraying. I pulled over and turned key to off position, but the jeep stayed started. Horn would not stop and wipers kept on no matter what I did with key. As I tried to get it home, the engine stopped and the wash spray became constant and intense now without the wipers working as I got off to shoulder and stopped with no power brakes or steering. After about 30 seconds I was able to restart with horn continuously sounding and wipers blades on high I got it home. The engine light was lit up on the dash but during the drive home most of all dash lights were coming on. I noticed after it restarted that the automatic wasn't shifting correctly and I do not believe the radiator fan was coming on. As I pulled up and stopped in front of my garage (with horn sounding and wipers still going and washer squirting) the jeep turned off about 30 seconds after I turned the key to off and now with key out I could hear all the power "stuff" (maybe relays) inside all 4 doors clicking, but no doors were locking/unlocking or windows powering up and down, just lots of continuous clinking, lots of clicking sounds coming from under the hood too. I disconnected the battery cables and came in the house and wrote this inquiry.
Has anyone with electrical experience (I have zero) ever heard of this or have an idea what demons have taken over my jeep?
Old 07-31-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

By disconnecting the battery all the computers have been shut down and will re-boot when you reconnect. Have you tried reconnecting?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's your TIPM module (Total Intergrated Power Management). Its the "fuse box" inside your engine on the pass side. What it does is control all the electrical components in the Jeep and is freaking out. You can purchase the part yourself (costs about $249) but needs to be installed by the dealer because the chrysler star scan computer is needed to reprogram the new TIPM module.

I have had the exact same thing happen to my Jeep with the same symptoms as yours. Others have had this problem and I actually found out it affects other Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge vehicles as well. The Town and Country minivan comes up a lot on google searches. Another thing it seems to affect mostly 08' model years. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2011, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, one more thing. Disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes returns everything back to normal but it will happen again!! Get it fixed so your Jeep doesn't do this at 70mph on the highway and die like mine did.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info. Does the module just go bad on it's own or does it seem to go bad after adding things like aux lighting, ARB compressor, switches, etc? I am just anticipating what the stealership will start accusing me of as to why this happened. I had just recently began experiencing the "no start" (possibly bad neutral switch) issue and replaced my starter (which was most likely just fine). This freak out came within days of replaced starter. Could simply messing with electrical replacing a starter do this? Another forum had mentioned something about the computer needs to be "reflashed" even if all you do is mess with the factory fogs, well, I did reinstall my fogs last month after not having them in for 2 years. (got a new bumper with the fog openings, old one didn't have it). I guess I'm trying to rule put any thing I may have done before taking it to a stealership. I have NEVER had a good experience with local dealerships since day one with my jeep.
Things added:
New yellow top in March.
Factory fogs back in on original wiring.
Added ARB compressor in March.
Wired in 2 ARB locker switches in March.
Disconnected wiring from previous front elocker and used it to power ARB compressor.
Wired in control module for rubi crawler in March.

Could any of this caused my FREAK OUT?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

i would almost swear that your jeep is haunted or something. that would be really embarrassing if you were in town when that started happening...
Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JkHauler
i would almost swear that your jeep is haunted or something. that would be really embarrassing if you were in town when that started happening...
It's embarrassing that Chrysler has made "a jeep" with all this computer dependent crap all throughout it and creates these problems. It appears many jk owners have had these same problems after reading through several forums. Dealer claimed ignorance this morning.
I miss my old CJ's, simple.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:33 AM
JK Freak

Checked and double checked all mods for proper wiring then hauled it to the dealer for them to cast out the demons.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:38 AM
JK Freak

I havn't had this jeep in a dealership in over 2 years. you would think I was a celebrity or something by the way all the techs came out to check out my jeep and talk to me about it. I ended up hanging around there for 2 hours just chatting it up with techs and customers who had many questions about my jeep.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

Dealer says TIPM's are 2 weeks out on back order. Peak summer wheel'n time here in MI. Can I trust a junk yard TIPM? Do these come out when a Hemi goes in because AEV is close by and may have one???
Any thoughts to speed things along for me?

Quick Reply: Electrical total freakout - HELP!