Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Electrical Problem! Help!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem! Help!

I was driving down the street tonight and suddenly all my dash warning lights started to blink and chime, my odometer also started to go to 0 then back to 30 multiple times rather quickly (I was traveling the same speed whole time). My radio also was going off and on and my headlights got a little dim. Pulled off onto a side street and shut it down, then started it up again and it stopped. Has anybody experienced this or know what the problem is?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

What year is your JK?

If it's still under warranty, get the incident documented.

Because you said the headlights went dim, I would check the condition of the battery connections and the ground from the battery. Also check both ends of the wire from the alternator.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a thread on here a while ago. with weak grounding issues.out of the blue the engine wouldn't start. rock the vehicle a bit and start right up they fixed it by running a second ground wire from the battery to the firewall and from there to the engine and trans. I have an issue when I almost stall my engine ( manual trans...my fault) all my dash warning lights flicker and the battery light stays on. lights and radio went dim. I pulled over and shut it off. dead battery. got a jump and all was fine. I checked my battery and it was still fine and strong. I think I have the same grounding issue the others had. yours sounds like the same weak connection some where. could be a wire. check the terminal connections, like ronjenx said.

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem! Help!