Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Electrical gremlins and alternator testing.

Old 11-14-2022, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical gremlins and alternator testing.

A couple days ago my 2011 JKU died at idle, no interior or dash lights….zero electrical power. Hooked up jumper cables which quickly became hot and started smoking at one of the grips. Towed it to the house and have now began testing. Testing continuity to the alt/battery was good. From the power lug on the alternator to the alternator case gave a 0 ohm reading….is this correct? Seems to me that would show a dead short to ground.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last thing I tested for tonight was disconnecting the alternator cable, and with jumper cables hooked up to a diesel truck I had 13.6 vdc at the battery, alternator disconnected, I regained all interior power until I turn the key to attempt to start, I get a click and all the lights go out and will not come back on until I disconnect and reconnect the battery. Which puts me back to my original suspicion of a bad starter.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:02 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

You can take the starter and alternator to Autozone or places like that and they can test it for you.

Quick Reply: Electrical gremlins and alternator testing.