Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

electrical gremlins

Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical gremlins

Howdy, I've got an 07 2dr with about 64k miles and over the last few months it's been giving me a few electrical issues. So last Xmas I left the jeep alone for a week and the battery died. Jumped it and drove it to the auto parts store after driving it for a while to get it tested. Sure enough dead battery. Bought a red top optima thinking "no way is this thing going to die on me again.". Well...... About 6moths later left it alone for a week so I could ride my bike to work. And dead battery again. Jumped it and it it tested fine. Then about three months ago the stereo display started going dim at night or if I turned on the head lights while the rest of the dash lights stayed bright. Now the dome light won't turn on unless the door is open or the turn signal is on for the right turn:(. Any ideas????; I'm trying not to go to the stealership if I can help it. Alternator seems to check out at 14.2volts. Thanks in advanced.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was gonna say alternator but if you checked already then maybe not. It does sound a lot like a bad alternator though. Especially if you changed the battery and it still does it. Do you have any stereo equipment or a remote car starter or anything? Could be sucking back power and it would kill your battery within a week?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

What you have is a draw on the system when the ignition is off. Considering the stereo and dome light issue, being that both can be controlled by the dash light dimmer switch (potentiometer) that is the first thing I would check. It may be going bad or there may be loose connections going to it. Not sure about your year buy mine is on the turn signal stock, if the connector to that had been Jarred loose that may be causing it.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Only aftermarket equipment is 2procomp 100watt lights. No shorts there. Checked that out. I'll try any track down the harness and double check the connections. Might be that something got knocked lose or the switch is bad. Thanks for insight.

Quick Reply: electrical gremlins