Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Electrical Capabilities

Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Capabilities

What are the capabilities of the stock electrical system on a 2012 Jk, as in how many additional components (i.e. lights, winch etc) can you add to the stock electrical system before it is advised to add an extra battery and/or larger alternator?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

The charging system does a decent job, but the battery is the weak link. I would recommend picking up a deep cycle battery. I went with an optima yellow top, which does a good job with my winch and 2 sets of auxiliary lights
Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
The charging system does a decent job, but the battery is the weak link. I would recommend picking up a deep cycle battery. I went with an optima yellow top, which does a good job with my winch and 2 sets of auxiliary lights
Ok, thanks for the advice. Just to be sure your saying you just replaced the stock battery with the optima right?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jlknights61

Ok, thanks for the advice. Just to be sure your saying you just replaced the stock battery with the optima right?
Yes. You might also look at the Sears die hard platinum and Odyssey batteries
Old 05-03-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 2009 with an Optima Blue (13 months on this battery, 36K miles of abuse). After a night of usng my 4 PIAAS and winching, I'd get the charging system alarm. However, the battery is not really drained to the point of not starting the vehicle.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jlknights61
What are the capabilities of the stock electrical system on a 2012 Jk, as in how many additional components (i.e. lights, winch etc) can you add to the stock electrical system before it is advised to add an extra battery and/or larger alternator?
The alternator is the "Key" device for power management. The battery is only a resivor for the power it supplies. The Jeep requires aproximately 60 Amps to opperate depending on what electrical systems are opperating at the point of measurement ( AC blower, wipers, defoggers, ect ). So subtract 60A from the full load capacity of the alternator. And you will have a good estimate of what you have left. But that doesn't really mean that you should use the full load capabilities of the system. The closer you come to full load, the more stress you apply to the system.

Quick Reply: Electrical Capabilities