Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ECU Wiring Harness Connector Replacement??

Old 12-28-2021 | 08:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Default ECU Wiring Harness Connector Replacement??

Well folks, I had to replace my a/c lines the other week and in the process I broke the dumb connectors that push out and pull in the wiring harnesses to the ECU. These guys -

After 8 years of engine bay heat they were not going to partake in releasing wire loom from the ECU and the red lever broke off the black plastic cap on both of those. Googling around for things like "jeep jk ecu wiring harness cap" and just about anything else I can think of has been fruitless. Surely these little caps are replaceable. That whole black plastic cap just clips off the wire loom. Am I maybe searching for the wrong thing or does anyone have a suggestion? The only reason I had to remove those dang things was due to how the a/c line had to route through various other things back to the expansion valve at the firewall.

Old 12-28-2021 | 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen the whole connector available, p/n 68316919AA, it isn't cheap but it has the cap and lever in it.
Old 12-28-2021 | 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah - I would be interested in scooping up a pair of these myself ....

I have seen the whole harness for sale - but what a hassle (and cost) when you're just talking about a plug (s) that could easily be replaced & re-pinned. I'm wondering if there is a Molex version of that plug - although dollars to donuts it's likely a Chrysler proprietary unit.

When I changed out my ECU with a hacked DiabloSports unit, I broke the little gear wheel inside one of the levers - I can still get it on and off, but it is a bitch.

It seems like a cool setup - but the lever is not strong enough for the required leverage to pull that plug off the ECU.

Neville

Last edited by Creepy Neville; 12-28-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2021 | 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

RE-- OUCH.. checked on line, yes it shows up and it looks like it will be a tedious repair. If you have a good salvage yard contact maybe you could get a harness with connector for less $$. Good Luck .. BTW .. this does not qualify as a Happy New Year condition.
Old 12-28-2021 | 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Russ the easiest fix would be to make a nice narrow strap that goes from one bolt on the ECU side to the other to hold them in place. And chalk the rest up to experience.
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (12-28-2021)
Old 12-29-2021 | 08:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Y, I am definitely not in it to replace the whole wire harness. Kinda sucks seeing that price. What broke is the little nubs on the side of the black plastic that the red levers pivot on. I think what I'll do is pull one of those off again and see if I can create some sort of new hinge to hold the red level on. I'm really not too concerned about holding it in place cuz those things are in there so tight. The bigger issue is if I ever need to remove the plug there's not a great way since it is the teeth on that lever that help push the plug out and pull it back in.

I've never had to remove that before so it's a little frustrating that my first attempt to do so after 8 years the thing just breaks that easily. All that plastic wire loom in my engine bay is shredding. You'd think you could get more than 8 years out of this stuff.

I think I might be able to salvage this. I need to double-check I didn't break any of the teeth of the red levers like Neville did. I hate just about all the dang connectors used on US cars. I recall being a lot happier with what the Germans use unless their situation has changed over the years since I last owned their products.
Old 12-29-2021 | 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Even though it is different than my 2008 that lever may be a locking lever that not only pulls the plug in but locks it in place as well which actually does mean that you need to repair it. Comparing it to plugs like under the TIPM or the sway bar harness. My 2008 Jeep ECU is just squeeze and pull but the Chev ECU is like yours there. So I guess my idea of the retaining bar is a moot point. Make sure some sort of silicone spray lube goes back in there when you get it done.
Old 10-21-2024 | 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Well folks, I had to replace my a/c lines the other week and in the process I broke the dumb connectors that push out and pull in the wiring harnesses to the ECU. These guys -

After 8 years of engine bay heat they were not going to partake in releasing wire loom from the ECU and the red lever broke off the black plastic cap on both of those. Googling around for things like "jeep jk ecu wiring harness cap" and just about anything else I can think of has been fruitless. Surely these little caps are replaceable. That whole black plastic cap just clips off the wire loom. Am I maybe searching for the wrong thing or does anyone have a suggestion? The only reason I had to remove those dang things was due to how the a/c line had to route through various other things back to the expansion valve at the firewall.
ecm/pcm connection cover. Is what there called, having problems finding the right year. But check ebay.
Old 10-21-2024 | 04:26 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Hogger77
ecm/pcm connection cover. Is what there called, having problems finding the right year. But check ebay.
Almost 3 years later.....still haven't messed with this. I did replace a couple harness under teh TIPM for the same reason...the little plastic nubs that are the "hinge" for the lever broke rendering the hinge useless. Within 2 times of using the new harnesses the exact same plastic nubs broke off. This stuff is just crap and decided i'd just have to carefully work these harnesses loose anytime needed in the future.

Quick Reply: ECU Wiring Harness Connector Replacement??