Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Easy wire tap for CB near center console?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by auceny
Is this really a 15min job? I ordered it then looked at the instructions online and it shows tearing the whole dash apart.
It's a handful of screws. You need a screwdriver, and a panel bar. It comes apart easily and reassembles just as easily. We're not talking rocket science here.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

I think everything is installed other than the power. Waiting on the wiring from Qtec. Attachment 606570

Attachment 606571
How did you route your antenna lead? Did you run a power and ground lead under the center console? If it reaches to the floorboard, then you'll have enough to tie into the Q-tec lead with plenty left over. Follow the dash disassembly instructions as described and you'll breeze right through it. The hardest part for me was figuring out how the round bezels for the vents released. I bought a Harbor Freight assortment of plastic dash prybars for a couple of bucks, they were a big help.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
How did you route your antenna lead? Did you run a power and ground lead under the center console? If it reaches to the floorboard, then you'll have enough to tie into the Q-tec lead with plenty left over. Follow the dash disassembly instructions as described and you'll breeze right through it. The hardest part for me was figuring out how the round bezels for the vents released. I bought a Harbor Freight assortment of plastic dash prybars for a couple of bucks, they were a big help.
The antenna is run under the carpet along the passenger side by the bunch of factory wires. Then everything is run up the back of console and in from the top as you see in the pic. I ran the speaker and power along passenger side of console just tucked up along the edge. The power is about a foot short from reaching the dash. If I need the length I was thinking of drilling a hole in the bottom of console instead of wasting length running up and over the back. Pretty sure I will need to ground the antenna but am waiting for now and not sure the easiest grounding spot.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-15-2015, 08:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im going to end up going with that power adapter when my SPOD switches are getting filled up and need to clear out a space for one.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

The antenna is run under the carpet along the passenger side by the bunch of factory wires. Then everything is run up the back of console and in from the top as you see in the pic. I ran the speaker and power along passenger side of console just tucked up along the edge. The power is about a foot short from reaching the dash. If I need the length I was thinking of drilling a hole in the bottom of console instead of wasting length running up and over the back. Pretty sure I will need to ground the antenna but am waiting for now and not sure the easiest grounding spot.

Thanks for the help!
I routed mine up the passenger windshield post, then under the roll bar padding to the passenger rear side of the tailgate. 18' barely made it.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the wire tap installed and hooked up to my CB. Wasn't bad tearing the dash apart. The instructions are very good. I routed mine out toward the console since my CB wires were a little short. Just tucked the connection under the carpet to the side of the shift lever area.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Got the wire tap installed and hooked up to my CB. Wasn't bad tearing the dash apart. The instructions are very good. I routed mine out toward the console since my CB wires were a little short. Just tucked the connection under the carpet to the side of the shift lever area.
Good deal. The dash panel removal looks a little intimidating at first but it all comes apart and goes back together easy enough.

Quick Reply: Easy wire tap for CB near center console?