Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Easy and reliable way to upgrade headlight performance?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speshalted,

After the "plug and play" installation did both your high beams and low beams still function properly? Are you still able to turn on your factory fog lamps while the low beams are on? If you don't mind me asking, how much did this upgrade cost? If you would rather discuss cost with me privately feel free to e-mail me at:
36bound@yahoo.com
Old 01-25-2011, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speshalted
I installed the Cibie lighting kit from Daniel Stern.

Because I bought the premade harness from him it was literally plug and play. I have never taken apart anything on the Jeep before and I completed this install in less than 1/2 an hour. You don't even have to cut any wires, just plug into the passenger side headlight plug.

I am running the 75/50 bulbs, so mid-range in terms of brightness vs longevity and they make a HUGE difference over stock. Even my wife asked what I did and she wasn't there to see me install them.
x2, the install of the Cibies from Daniel Stern was dead simple. The only gotcha that I hit was the lights and harness shipped from different locations so I went to install my lights and had no harness. Had to wait a couple of day.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 AM
bkw
JK Freak

IPF from Northridge + Silverstone Ultra bulbs on my JK works a lot better than the stocks, but the game changer was the 3000k (Yellow) H11 HID's in the stock fog location. Best $35 I've ever spent on lighting, period.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bkw
IPF from Northridge + Silverstone Ultra bulbs on my JK works a lot better than the stocks, but the game changer was the 3000k (Yellow) H11 HID's in the stock fog location. Best $35 I've ever spent on lighting, period.
I want my fogs to be yellow too. Could you expand on what you did... part names, adapters etc...? Thanks!

Oh, and if you have pics that would be sweet too.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Dont have any pics, but it's very easy to do if you an 07-09 and have factory fogs.

I purchased a 35W H11 3000k kit from ddmtuning then wired the + to the battery and - to an existing ground near the fender. Then it's as easy as installing the bulbs and plugging the harness in. Mounted the ballasts on the frame rail and lower radiator support with some 3M double sided tape and zip ties.

30 minutes of work, tops.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

im going to install the Sylvania silverstar ultra bulbs on my JK & test those out.. i've already had to replace 3 aftermarket bulbs seeing as they burnout

I'd go the IPF route id i had the cash for it
Old 01-25-2011, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 36bound
Speshalted,

After the "plug and play" installation did both your high beams and low beams still function properly? Are you still able to turn on your factory fog lamps while the low beams are on? If you don't mind me asking, how much did this upgrade cost?
Yes both the high and low beams still work. The fog lamps work as well, but with the output of the Cibie lights they do not seem to make a difference at all.

The lights were not the cheapest solution, but in my opinion they were best option for me. The total cost which included the light housings, harness, and bulbs, was just shy of $300. If I were to get another jeep I would readily spend the money to do this mod again.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOCAL-JK
im going to install the Sylvania silverstar ultra bulbs on my JK & test those out.. i've already had to replace 3 aftermarket bulbs seeing as they burnout

I'd go the IPF route id i had the cash for it

I bought those bulbs and for $50 they cost, they truely are not worth it. The reflector or design of the headlight itself really limits the way the light gets thrown out on the road.
It's your money but to me it was a HUGE waste and I am already planning on upgrading to the Cibie or IPF lights. Also, just so you know, when you upgrade the lights, the factory style bulbs will not fit the new upgraded housing so that is money down the drain on any upgraded bulbs you buy as a temporary fix.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speshalted
If I were to get another jeep I would readily spend the money to do this mod again.
If I get another Jeep, I'm swapping back in the original lights and my Cibies are going into the new Jeep.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just installed the IPF replacements from Northridge, it's a nice improvement. I think the bulbs they come with are OK, but there are better choices they could have gone with. The bulbs they supplied are "IPF H4 XT42", I wish they had some Silverstars instead.

Quick Reply: Easy and reliable way to upgrade headlight performance?