Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Easy and reliable way to upgrade headlight performance?

Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo
Sylvania Silverstar ultra bulbs. $30.00 then do a good job of adjusting and it is a very good improvement. It is better than I had expected. I have no need to improve on the headlights any farther.
I bought the Silverstars (might not be the ultra though) about one year ago it was a improvement, making for a whiter light and a bit more filled in. But still lacking for my liking. My IPF replacements are coming soon, can't wait.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also did the the ipf upgrade. I love it and it was a very easy install.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jvandy50
i wish there were some before and after pics for some of these ideas(not from the company, but people actually using them)
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...on-Kit-Install
Hunted down my install write-up. I only have one on-road picture, could get more i guess...No comparison pics w/ stock vs. HID, I forgot to grab one when I was doing the install.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 AM
JK Freak

From all the threads I've read ipf seems to be the best then add hids for even more light. Also reading some members installing cibbie housings but haven't seen a how to on this or I mustve missed it.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by runit3
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...on-Kit-Install
Hunted down my install write-up. I only have one on-road picture, could get more i guess...No comparison pics w/ stock vs. HID, I forgot to grab one when I was doing the install.
thanks, these factory headlights are pathetic! maybe i can try this soon
Old 01-24-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

hella h4 lenses and susquhene relay harness. Its completely plug and play and couldnt be happier with them. The wires they use for the harness are more than sufficient, and again, completely plug and play. Added ddm 55w 4500k hid kit and the results are amazing! as close to a perfect cut off as youre gonna get.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will chime in here:

My rig uses the Hella setup with the battery wiring harness from Susquehanna Motorsports. I ran this with Osram Hyper bulbs/Silverstars/IPF Fatboy blues and they BLOW away any other headlight kit out there. My girlfriend runs the IPF setup in her JK and the IPF lights do put out a better beam spread, which I will explain in a minute.

IPF kit: nice wide light spread with a high beam that looks like a flashlight beam right down the middle of the road. This would be ideal for use WITH the susquehanna battery harness.

Hella: Superior low beam, since it puts all the light on the road right in front of you much like headlights with foglights at the same time. High beam is wide and reaches farrrrrr away, but not as intense as the IPF high beam. There is also a dark spot in the middle of the light pattern on the road which is annoying at first, but you get used to it.

All in all, the real secret to the best headlight performance is the BATTERY HARNESS. My girl's IPF lenses are nice, but they are about 1/4th the brightness of my Hella lights with the battery harness running silverstars in both.

I ended up putting a drop in DDM HID kit along with my battery harness in the hella lenses and they work very well for the countryside.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the Silverstars and it was a waste of money to me. I'll either go with the IPF or the Cibbie.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

IPF Kit here, very nice improvement. Totally worth the 150 bucks.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:22 PM
JK Newbie

I installed the Cibie lighting kit from Daniel Stern.

Because I bought the premade harness from him it was literally plug and play. I have never taken apart anything on the Jeep before and I completed this install in less than 1/2 an hour. You don't even have to cut any wires, just plug into the passenger side headlight plug.

I am running the 75/50 bulbs, so mid-range in terms of brightness vs longevity and they make a HUGE difference over stock. Even my wife asked what I did and she wasn't there to see me install them.

Quick Reply: Easy and reliable way to upgrade headlight performance?