Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Easy and reliable way to upgrade headlight performance?

Old 01-23-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy and reliable way to upgrade headlight performance?

I've spent the better part of the morning trying to wade through the various opinions (and contradictions) about headlight upgrades. Is there really no reliable, effective "plug and play" upgrade that does not require zip ties, connectivity compounds and hocus pocus to produce a night time beam that is noticeably superior to the grossly inadequate stock headlights?
Old 01-23-2011, 12:42 PM
JK Super Freak

IPF replacements from Northridge!

I say this (and many people agree) because you're not just upgrading the bulbs with the IPF kit, but the suck stock reflectors as well. That's why I didn't go with the Silverstar bulbs (or similar). If the light isn't going to get projected out any better from the Jeep, then the bulbs aren't worth it.

There are lots of threads on this.

Last edited by Merlin4979; 01-23-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sylvania Silverstar ultra bulbs. $30.00 then do a good job of adjusting and it is a very good improvement. It is better than I had expected. I have no need to improve on the headlights any farther.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

I can actually see my headlights dim when I roll the windows up or down. I got to do something soon.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

danielsternlighting.com/

It's not exactly plug and play, but if you don't get rid of the crappy lens and increase power to the bulbs you are going to end up pretty much where you started from.

Last edited by Robar; 01-23-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST CLICKABLE NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 01-23-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

I'm running a VVME H13 (hi/low) beam HID kit. Cost me $60 off e-bay. Comes with all required wiring harnesses, ballasts, bulbs etc. DDM tuning also makes a kit, some people from the forum are using it. If you've ever replaced a light bulb, know how to wire +/- leads to the battery, and tap you're DRL's into the relay it's basically a plug-n-play.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

i wish there were some before and after pics for some of these ideas(not from the company, but people actually using them)
Old 01-23-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jehattaway
I can actually see my headlights dim when I roll the windows up or down. I got to do something soon.
Bad connection?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
IPF replacements from Northridge!

I say this (and many people agree) because you're not just upgrading the bulbs with the IPF kit, but the suck stock reflectors as well. That's why I didn't go with the Silverstar bulbs (or similar). If the light isn't going to get projected out any better from the Jeep, then the bulbs aren't worth it.

There are lots of threads on this.
Have these on order myself, getting them Monday from Northridge.
After the install I'll post a update about the improvement.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did the ipf upgrade and must say that it is a night and day difference. Probably one of the best upgrades I have done.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Easy and reliable way to upgrade headlight performance?