Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

easier way to change headlight bulb?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easier way to change headlight bulb?

Everytime I change my headlight bulb, I think "are you f@cking kidding me?"
Is there an easier way than removing the grill and taking out the headlight housing? With my winch, there's not a lot of wiggle room to get my grill off.
Wondering if I'm missing something easy.
Can't imagine taking a road trip and burning out a bulb and having to swap it on the road like this. I drive with my HIDs on basically everytime I'm driving cause of the road I take and u have to have headlights on. I go thru about 2 sets of HID's a year and swapping these is a pain
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope. get leds they have a much longer lifespan or get use to swapin bulbs the normal way.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep it can be done from behind. The passenger side is pretty easy to get to, but for the drivers side you must remove the horn.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

I change mine from behind. I upgraded to Silver Stars 4.5 years ago. The first one burned out a couple weeks ago..
Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I change mine from behind. I upgraded to Silver Stars 4.5 years ago. The first one burned out a couple weeks ago..
I second this method... Been using my Silver Stars for over a year now, and been great.

Reach in from behind, twist and pull out.

If you're hands are too big, use your kid or family member's hand (hopefully still attached to them).
Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I was talking to someone about this a couple weeks ago, where they mentioned there were GM cars where the bumper had to be removed to change the bulb. Crazy!!! Next thing you know, we'll have to pull the engine to change the oil filter.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I was talking to someone about this a couple weeks ago, where they mentioned there were GM cars where the bumper had to be removed to change the bulb. Crazy!!! Next thing you know, we'll have to pull the engine to change the oil filter.
That's true of most of the new cars now days. A real pain in the ass.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Fugg it
Everytime I change my headlight bulb, I think "are you f@cking kidding me?"
Is there an easier way than removing the grill and taking out the headlight housing? With my winch, there's not a lot of wiggle room to get my grill off.
Wondering if I'm missing something easy.
Can't imagine taking a road trip and burning out a bulb and having to swap it on the road like this. I drive with my HIDs on basically everytime I'm driving cause of the road I take and u have to have headlights on. I go thru about 2 sets of HID's a year and swapping these is a pain
What you mention was one of the big reason I went with the Truck-Lites.
All the benefits are worth the money.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 PM
JK Newbie

funny I was just researching this the other day, simpliest way is to take the grill off, 5 mins with 6 plastic pins, the headlight is held in by 4 screws, take those screws out and the entire lamp is lose, unscrew the bulb 1/4 turn and replace it with whatever bulb you have chosen. Reverse the steps. This is much more easier than removing the parts behind the headlamps to get to the bulb and definately wont beat your hands up.

http:// www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82085

Last edited by Ryan0260; 04-29-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wrangler1771
funny I was just researching this the other day, simpliest way is to take the grill off, 5 mins with 6 plastic pins, the headlight is held in by 4 screws, take those screws out and the entire lamp is lose, unscrew the bulb 1/4 turn and replace it with whatever bulb you have chosen. Reverse the steps. This is much more easier than removing the parts behind the headlamps to get to the bulb and definately wont beat your hands up.

Replacing a stock headlight bulb - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Yes and what you say is true, provided you do not have an AEV front bumper, or any bumper or winch mounted that does not allow for your grill to be removed as easily as the stock configuration.

Quick Reply: easier way to change headlight bulb?