Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dynamat install difficulty?

Old 10-25-2012, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dynamat install difficulty?

I've been looking for a write up on a dynamat install but can't really find all that much info.. As I mentioned in my other thread I'm putting a new stereo in shortly and have been considering covering the floor and anything else I can get under with dynamat.. Can anyone give me an idea of how big a job this is for a 2 door? I know seats and carpet will have to come out but is there anything that's going to get me stuck half way? I've got about a day and a half to get it done which I'm hoping is ample time
Old 10-26-2012, 01:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless ur going into a DB competition there is no reason for installing it every where. Just put a few pieces it any large flat area where the metal is flexing and it will solve the problem. Honestly tho dynomat is a waste of time in a Jeep but its ur Jeep so mod it in every way u like.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nevillebartos
I've been looking for a write up on a dynamat install but can't really find all that much info.. As I mentioned in my other thread I'm putting a new stereo in shortly and have been considering covering the floor and anything else I can get under with dynamat.. Can anyone give me an idea of how big a job this is for a 2 door? I know seats and carpet will have to come out but is there anything that's going to get me stuck half way? I've got about a day and a half to get it done which I'm hoping is ample time
It actually took me a couple days to do the install but I was in no hurry and I installed two layers of different densities to give better sound deading properties. The other reason I did it was to get rid of all the heat coming up through the floor board.
I did it because of injuries to my hearing canal. The wind and tire noise ws actually painful for me. On the bright side it did knock down external noise by about fifty percent.

You will have to remove the seats and the plastic trim pieces all the way around the floor and side. You will need to purchase some new plastic push pins that hold on the panels. They get damaged when removed and will not hold the panels tight if you reuse them. Did not remove the center console but did remove the screws holding it down so I could block it up to work underneath it. If you have help you should be able to finish in less than a day. An impact is useful in removing the seat bolts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP00022.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	382460

Last edited by 4wdave; 10-26-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

I put dynamat in a few cars before I got the Jeep. It's pretty straightforward. Also, pulling the Jeep interior is a piece of cake, especially after you do it once or twice. I'd say there is exactly zero in there that will keep you from finishing this project in a day. The only tricky part is removing the center console, but most guys here who need to get under it just unbolt it, lift it up an inch or two and tie it up to the roll bars. That will leave you plenty of room to get in there. Also, if you do run out of time, you really only need to get the driver seat back in there in order to get around for a while and that's four bolts and a plug. I say go for it
Old 10-26-2012, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by EsByrd
Unless ur going into a DB competition there is no reason for installing it every where. Just put a few pieces it any large flat area where the metal is flexing and it will solve the problem. Honestly tho dynomat is a waste of time in a Jeep but its ur Jeep so mod it in every way u like.
X2 I agree
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do it man! It's easy to apply, if your looking to do the entire floor make sure you get a good roller! The dynamat should be rolled until its not squishy anymore. You should only have to do the thin parts around where it rattles though unless your going for the whole "cutting out road noise" deal.
And as for keeping heat out, dynamat has a thin layer of almost a tinfoil on the top of it. How is that going for the guy trying to keep the heat out? Last time I check metal absorbed heat?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2012JUS
Do it man! It's easy to apply, if your looking to do the entire floor make sure you get a good roller! The dynamat should be rolled until its not squishy anymore. You should only have to do the thin parts around where it rattles though unless your going for the whole "cutting out road noise" deal.
And as for keeping heat out, dynamat has a thin layer of almost a tinfoil on the top of it. How is that going for the guy trying to keep the heat out? Last time I check metal absorbed heat?
The rubber between the metal and foil will insulate the heat or he can just use the original dynamat instead of the extreme with the foil. That foil will leave lil paper cuts all over u anyways lol
Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't be doing any competition sound but if theres a potential 50% reduction in external noise itd make it worth the effort for me, I'm thinking I'll get the new system in first though and see how it goes, a crisper sounding setup might make all the difference. I've got some headliners lying around as well which might help a little too. If I do this though I'll cover as much as I can with the seats / carpet / console out of the way, will pencil it in for december and see how i go, will post up some pics if I go through with it.

Might as well ask now too, what kind of sq footage of dynamat should I be looking for? I was going to grab a bit to try and get in the stock sub box before the new subby goes in, may just go for glory and buy a bulk pack to keep me from sleeping on this project. Also I've seen a lot of people saying to only bother using the extreme version, being reasonably extreme myself I usually opt for the extreme version of anything given a choice, but any opinions on the difference?

thanks for all the responses gives me a good idea of whats involved, sounds fun.

Last edited by nevillebartos; 10-29-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nevillebartos
I won't be doing any competition sound but if theres a potential 50% reduction in external noise itd make it worth the effort for me, I'm thinking I'll get the new system in first though and see how it goes, a crisper sounding setup might make all the difference. I've got some headliners lying around as well which might help a little too. If I do this though I'll cover as much as I can with the seats / carpet / console out of the way, will pencil it in for december and see how i go, will post up some pics if I go through with it.

Might as well ask now too, what kind of sq footage of dynamat should I be looking for? I was going to grab a bit to try and get in the stock sub box before the new subby goes in, may just go for glory and buy a bulk pack to keep me from sleeping on this project. Also I've seen a lot of people saying to only bother using the extreme version, being reasonably extreme myself I usually opt for the extreme version of anything given a choice, but any opinions on the difference?

thanks for all the responses gives me a good idea of whats involved, sounds fun.
As I said before that much dynamat is more for competition and specially if u go with extreme, so that being said I'm sure u will not notice much difference between original or extreme in a Jeep. If u want to save a lil coin, I would consider stinger sound damping. It is identical to dynamat and more of a fair price. I'm not sure what the square footage is on the Jeep but ull definitely be in the bulk category. Last time I was in my local stereo shop they were selling the stinger kind for around $3 a sqaure foot
Old 10-29-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I forgot to add. My guess on the square footage would be between 40 and 50. It would come up cheaper for u just to roll in some bedliner which as about the same property and then reinstall ur carpet

Quick Reply: Dynamat install difficulty?