Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dual battery set up

Old 12-11-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JB7JEEP
Don't laugh, it's actually a good idea! I could put together and send a few prototype kits out at cost in return for a good amount of constructive review. Keep the ideas coming, we may have something here!

Indeed. Those production pre-run kits can be the proof-of-concept as well as used for some torture field testing while writing the installation guide and operation reviews. Once this phase is complete you can start the production.

But, before that I would do some voice-of-the-customer and come up with two (or three) features list and assigned value so you can get a good view of the price points and how many SKUs (models) you should offer. Sorry...my product manager and design engineer's hat speaking. :-)
Old 12-11-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sheepdog
Where can you buy the isolators?
Sounds like there might be an easier/better way shortly. Go Sahara Maverick Go! ..but if your in a hurry try Elecdirect.

Just take note where the part is shipping from (Mexico) where it lists days.

They sell the cole hersee lights for monitoring and several switch options (not that it could not be done cheaper) for boost if going the smart isolator route and you want to stick with the brand throughout.

Last edited by Langhorne; 12-11-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

X3 on the detailed install instructions. You could have the best product in the market but it won't mean a thing if too many buyers mess up the install and get poor results or give up halfway through and start flaming your company all over the net. I think I speak most people when I say I wouldn't know an "isolator" if it bit me.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

I think the idea of competion is great and working together to develope kits would be great, but!, just a word on Benchmark, I was in contact with John a couple times by email, on Nov 21, he said he was building up some kits and could have one out to me, on the 29 he notified me it was being shipped that day, also cleared up some questions for me, I recieved my complete stage 3 kit on Dec 2, I'd have to say that was pretty good customer service and quality product, hopefully this is a sign that things are turning around for Benchmark. they have my respect.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Marine alternative isolator/combiner

http://www dot yandina.com/NewCatalog.htm

We use these combiners in the boat world. Lifetime Warrenty, a remote ON can be used to manually combine the batteries. Happen to be on sale now for 140.
160 amps continuous rating, 400 amps closing current (2 seconds), 200 amps for 5 minutes.

{Not related to the manufacturer}
Old 12-13-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Going back to the original thought, I can get the tray and isolator mentioned. What else will I need? I'm going to have help from someone who is an installer but I want to have everything I will need to get it right.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Junkie

Dude im down for being a guinea pig , I've been in the market for a dual battery tray for a few months now. I'll be more than happy to critique, send info back and pictures of the install.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Items contained in a kit:
Tray
Cole hersee smart isolator
4 gauge wire red and black
Terminal clamps

The trickiest bit for fabrication is the tray, and install instructions. If you shamelessly copy a tray design, bobs your uncle
Old 12-13-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nwapache
Items contained in a kit:
Tray
Cole hersee smart isolator
4 gauge wire red and black
Terminal clamps

The trickiest bit for fabrication is the tray, and install instructions. If you shamelessly copy a tray design, bobs your uncle
Thanks. I have the install directions from cole hersee (but they recommend a switch for the isolator). And rugged ridge tray.
I also have directions to the kit I ordered- both wiring and tray.
It almost seems easy (wiring) but I wouldn't be the one to know for sure.
The bd kit did not have a switch for the isolator so I'm not sure what to do for that.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm interested in this too. If you dont make the tray, I would be up for the relay, switches, etc. The relay is expensive and I don't want to miss wire, so good instructions will prove worthy.

Quick Reply: Dual battery set up