Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dual battery set up

Old 12-10-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This douchebag is about 30 minutes away from me... I'll go drive up to lake Stevens and get his home address for you. I might suggest filing Internet fraud charges on him. Feel free to pm me if you want additional information.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JB7JEEP

Thanks alot for your help Vin. I own an electronics manufacturing company, maybe I should source all the parts (isolators, tray, cables, etc) and sell the setup as a top quality kit like Benchmark did. Seems like there is still a bunch of Jeep guys out there looking for them!
I think you should do this. I've been wanting a good quality setup.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks alot for your help Vin. I own an electronics manufacturing company, maybe I should source all the parts (isolators, tray, cables, etc) and sell the setup as a top quality kit like Benchmark did. Seems like there is still a bunch of Jeep guys out there looking for them!
It's one of the items on my mods list. I want to finish a few stuff before but definitely on my 2012's list. Despite being mechanically inclined to build a lot of stuff, lack of time prevents me from doing it. Therefore, I tend to buy pre-tested kits from reputable vendors and just install them. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Langhorne
all the isolators they make are here (including the 250 brick)
looking at this one myself

hxxp://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/211/48530

see d617 for explination
hxxp://www.colehersee.com/home/hotfeeds

few tray options

hxxp://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Performance-Electrical/Dual-Battery-Tray-by-Mountain-Off-Road-Enterprises-for-Jeep.aspx?t_c=72&t_s=12&t_pt=3691&t_pn=MREJKDBT070 9

hxxp://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Performance-Electrical/Dual-Battery-Tray-by-Rugged-Ridge-for-Jeep.aspx?t_c=72&t_s=12&t_pt=3691&t_pn=RUG11214.53
Thank you Langhorne. I had the tray but I lacked the Isolator. Ordering tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've watched and commented on dual battery threads for a few years, and I'm amazed no one else has stepped in and sold a complete electrical package, either to compliment the two other tray only manufacturers, or team up with a reputable metal fabrication shop and sell electrical and tray together, complete with an idiots guide wiring installation and pictures and step-by-step details.

I was an early and fortunate Benchmark Stage 3 customer, and their dual package is well thought out, simple to install and has performed perfectly. It provides peace of mind and reliable excursion performance, and sad that this terrific package has been shot due to customer service.

I'm sure many are like me, I'm comfortable and experienced to try any mechanical installation and upgrade but electricals are a different ball game ! I wanted and received a complete ready to install package with no guessing or electrical prowess needed.

There is a desperate market for this, and many would welcome a solid competitor.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

I agree 100%. A lot (most?) people have got too many other things on their plate to worry about integration issues on their jeeps. Complete, tested and warrantied packages are the way to go for them. But be forewarned, the demand can overwhelm the supplier! A good example is one (unnamed cause they are good people and don't deserve negative feedback) headlight upgrade package supplier who filled a need for a total solution and was hit with such an avalanche of new orders that they couldn't keep up, even after hiring more staff. That's a good problem to have, IMO.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duplication mistake - ignore

Last edited by westchester; 12-10-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok guys, you all are confirming what I already thought. As you read, I am also a victim of never receiving what I paid for. Just to let you know, it is my intention to get this kit together in the next 30 and market it thru the forum to fellow jeep enthusiasts. I will contact WOL to find out how to properly market it to you all. Just as an FYI (I'm not bragging just showing my credibility), I have started and built two multi million dollar electronics businesses. My current biz is an electronics contract manufacturing company with just under 50 employees. I have the contacts, etc to build and market these kits the right way. Any additional information, feedback, etc as to what you will be looking for or how the kit from the previous company could be improved on would speed up the development curve. Like you, I wanted a turnkey, high quality, reliable setup to give me peace of mind when I was out in the desert.

Sounds great!

Here's a few suggestions:
1) A "basic" and a "premium" model
The basic would have the minimum components just to make it work, e.g. tray and isolator/charger
The premium would have monitoring voltmeters, capacity to manage the batteries such as using both to start engine, low voltage alarms, maybe a programmable automatic shutdown for the main battery to save power for engine start, etc.
This should help addressing the budget and the premium market segments.

2) save costs. For example, I care less for pretty packages. Use that cost on the product itself

3) make a decent installation guide. If printing a good one will be too expensive make it electronic and we download. Cost for this is very low.

4) make sure to use quality parts. As you pointed out. A dual-battery setup is for peace of mind, therefore reliability is key

5) channels to market. Even though distribution adds cost, it helps you managing inventory, credit, etc. So, pick a couple reputable companies that will help your product success. There are a few folks in this forum that can do a great job on that.

6) once you have the kits' concepts ready let us know. Also, if you come up with great ideas, patent them. ;-)
Old 12-11-2011, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Sounds great!
3) make a decent installation guide. If printing a good one will be too expensive make it electronic and we download. Cost for this is very low.
With a ton of pictures - with reference points - i.e. - see fig 7.7. Use call outs and arrows to help illustrate a point further. Tools required, expected time, helping hands. And for the love of Pete, put them in order of sense. I really hate when you're at step 3 and the garbled nonsense in step 4 says - Don't tighten in Step 3 install this over/under/through it or whatever meaning, you have to undo some or all of previous step. And don't let an engineer write them. They like to fascinate everyone with their big words and such. It just creates more and less

my 2 cents
Old 12-11-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AptPupil
With a ton of pictures - with reference points - i.e. - see fig 7.7. Use call outs and arrows to help illustrate a point further. Tools required, expected time, helping hands. And for the love of Pete, put them in order of sense. I really hate when you're at step 3 and the garbled nonsense in step 4 says - Don't tighten in Step 3 install this over/under/through it or whatever meaning, you have to undo some or all of previous step. And don't let an engineer write them. They like to fascinate everyone with their big words and such. It just creates more and less

my 2 cents

It's a great point. I suggest you sent a few kits to some of us and we can write the guide for you. I already volunteer for that. ;-)

Quick Reply: Dual battery set up