Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dual battery set up

Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be getting this install started now that it is a bit colder here and wanted to check on a couple last things.

Im assuming I'll need 4 terminals but I was wondering what lengths of power/ground and how many power/ground rings I would need.

Thanks

Also does the cole come with a switch?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Stillmotion
I am going to be getting this install started now that it is a bit colder here and wanted to check on a couple last things.

Im assuming I'll need 4 terminals but I was wondering what lengths of power/ground and how many power/ground rings I would need.

Thanks

Also does the cole come with a switch?
You'll need two red 2AWG wire (four if you fuse them properly with 150A fuses) to connect the two positive terminals of each battery to each end of the Smart Isolator. You need anywhere from 3-6 inches but keep in mind the shorter they are the less they bend. In the kit I received from Benchmark he also included 2AWG black wire to connect the main battery to the auxillary battery and from the auxillary battery to ground. This wire was about a foot and a half in length and the one connecting the aux to ground was only a few inches long.

And the Isolator comes with three 18AWG wires that extend out of the "black box" portion of it. The black on is a ground, the violet one is for a boost switch that you can use to temporarily connect the two batteries manually, and the white one is for an in-dash led status indicator.

I hope this helps!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pkess3
This isn't the one that came with the kit. The one that I recieved with my Benchmark system was the Cole Hersee 48525 which is the 85 amp model. I went through two of these. The first one I zapped and the second one just stopped working. I started thinking that the 85 amp model was not sufficient with the alternator being about 115 amps so that's why this third one that I purchased and is currently installed is the Cole Hersee 48530 200 amp model. And ever since installing it, it hasn't worked as it should. The other two worked fine for at least a while before they failed.
The alt puts out 160A, the 85A one is to small to take that load for a long time. think of it as water leaking out of a pin hole in a dam. the longer it goes the bigger the hole gets untill there is no dam.

as for working as it should it does not isolate untill the MAIN BATTERY is drained down less then 12.7 V for 1 min or more
Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My kit came with the 200 amp model.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigHugh54
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17004_200.htm

Painless has a dual battery set up for about $150 (cheaper if you search around). My plan is too get this kit and a RR tray. About $250 total for what I've found...
Did you go this route? Wondering what people thought about this system.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wrangled
I wouldn't hesitate to purchase and install another Benchmark setup, regardless of the posts I've read. I am extremely happy with the quality of mine, and in the end, that is what your paying for. I realize getting it fast is nice, but I consider some things well worth the wait. This is one of them.
Nice setup.

Quick Reply: Dual battery set up