Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dual battery set up

Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered/paid for a stage 3 in April and have not received it yet. Anyone else? I tried emailing and calling but no responses as of yet.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pkelyman
How have you folks been making out with getting your dual battery kits from Benchmark? For those of you that have recently gotten your kits, were they complete?
Yes, kit was complete and installed without problems.

Originally Posted by Woodchuck
Get the benchmark...I have one and I received great customer service both before and after the purchase
Ditto.

I found this thread today, not good to hear stories of poor customer service, but when their dual tray does arrive you will be content.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am waitingto here back from an email i sent him about shipping been only 3 days
Old 06-23-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

What makes the Benchmark stage 3 stand out is the Cole Hersee smart isolator. I purchased this separately, off of eBay, for $40. It was used, but in excellent shape. I then used the Rugged Ridge dual battery tray, some SGT 2 gauge cable (7 feet of red and 5 feet of black), crimp on terminals, heat shrink tubing, and four new marine grade lugs to complete the kit. It is not a true DIY, but came in a bunch cheaper and works the same. If you can crimp, heat shrink, and measure, you can do this. There are instructions for the tray and isolator, so you are not completely on your own, plus it makes for an excellent opportunity to do the big 5 ( Positive: 2GA alt. to batt, batt to starter Negative: chassis to batt, batt to motor, motor to chassis). If you would rather buy a complete kit, with instructions, the Benchmark kits look pretty good, and save some time from sourcing all of the parts required to do this. If you do go the same route as me, make sure to get 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" terminals, the bigger isolator (they have two, cannot remember the amp ratings), various diameters of heat shrink tubing (definitely double shrink the connections) and SGT cable (SGX will work, but don't use amplifier cable, "welding" cable, or any other crap, unless you want a new Jeep and higher insurance premiums). I know the isolator's price will vary, but I think I have around $200 in this upgrade, not including the battery. I went with Autozone's Duralast Golds. They are a tight fit in the tray, but come with an 8 year warranty, and have specs that rival most of the other premium offerings.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sheepdog
I ordered/paid for a stage 3 in April and have not received it yet. Anyone else? I tried emailing and calling but no responses as of yet.
Keep calling. I had to call about five times to get my complete order and also the installation instructions (which are pretty poor). Fortunately a few folks on this forum were really really helpful.

If you have a little patience, get your complete order and get it installed you will be glad you did. The Stage 3 is the best setup out there, bad customer service or not.

The upside for those worried about bad customer service is that the only 'moving' part is the isolator which can be replaced under warranty from Cole Hersee. The battery tray itself is made like a brick shithouse. The powder coating shows no signs of bubbling or seepage (moisture under the paint) and I live near the ocean where EVERYTHING corrodes.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I hope it works out. I'm not concerned about waiting for a quality product. But when you pay over $300 + and receive NO information from the company it is wrong. The only confirmation I received was payment made. It's quite a bit discerning. A simple email stating that the item was on backorder would work.
I have emailed and called several times just to request an update or to check that the order was processed ok. But nothing.
I received plenty of contact prior to placing the order, then after, NOTHING.
I feel I have been taken for $300 plus and I recommend others to use caution.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sheepdog
Thanks for the info. I hope it works out. I'm not concerned about waiting for a quality product. But when you pay over $300 + and receive NO information from the company it is wrong. The only confirmation I received was payment made. It's quite a bit discerning. A simple email stating that the item was on backorder would work.
I have emailed and called several times just to request an update or to check that the order was processed ok. But nothing.
I received plenty of contact prior to placing the order, then after, NOTHING.
I feel I have been taken for $300 plus and I recommend others to use caution.
I don't understand why people still buy from him.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Still waiting for my tray I ordered in April. Does anyone know John? Is he in jail? How can a battery tray take 3 months. I did not know about the poor ability to deliver product and his piss poor customer service prior to ordering. I would ask that this site removes him from their Vendor List. I am sure the dollar value he owes in contract breeches would meet Felony theft.
JP
Old 07-28-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am still waiting as well.
No contact and money gone.
No way to do business
Old 07-28-2011, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm still waiting as well. He finally quit responding to my emails.

Quick Reply: Dual battery set up