Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dual battery set up

Old 05-05-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chopper3330
Do you need dual to run a winch?
No, it's not necessary. It's nice though, especially if you ever end up winching without the engine running.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sheepdog

Did you receive your kit or at least an update?
Have n't received an update from them yet. Ordered it on 4/25. Funds were taken on 4/27. Just sent them my first email for an update.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Reason for dual battery.....Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110506_185253.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	157963
Battery quick connect for jump cables, inverters, anything 12v, winch, lights
Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by boricuajc

Have n't received an update from them yet. Ordered it on 4/25. Funds were taken on 4/27. Just sent them my first email for an update.
Well today I received an email from Benchmark advising me that FedEx is picking up my system. If it ships today that's a 14 days, not a bad turn around.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I ordered on April 22 and paid with Paypal. I sent an email on the 5th and just sent a message again today.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

How have you folks been making out with getting your dual battery kits from Benchmark? For those of you that have recently gotten your kits, were they complete? I'm looking to do a dual battery in my JK, really like the Benchmark and don't have anything pressing where I need the kit quickly, just don't want to get stung by either not ever getting it or missing pieces. I've recently emailed them asking about availability and lead times, got no response. Hate to be actually needing something from them and be treated this way. If you weren't to go the Benchmark route, what would have been your second choice?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been looking at a couple other setups, both require you source you own battery tray:

hxxp://store.adventuretrailers.com/products/Split-Charger-Kit%7B47%7DDual-Battery-Kit.html

and this one JK specific (with in cab winch controls):

hxxp://www.12voltguy.com/product.php?productid=17552&cat=258&page=1

Second one requires you also provide neg batt cable and battery cable clamps for 2nd battery.

Like the Benchmark but not up for dealing with lousy customer service, way to many negative threads in that regard.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pkelyman
How have you folks been making out with getting your dual battery kits from Benchmark? For those of you that have recently gotten your kits, were they complete? I'm looking to do a dual battery in my JK, really like the Benchmark and don't have anything pressing where I need the kit quickly, just don't want to get stung by either not ever getting it or missing pieces. I've recently emailed them asking about availability and lead times, got no response. Hate to be actually needing something from them and be treated this way. If you weren't to go the Benchmark route, what would have been your second choice?
I actually received an email a day after I last posted. According to the email I should be receiving my stage 3 set up tommorrow. :fingers crossed:
Old 05-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Well my package arrived this morning. If the rain holds out, I'll try installing this weekend.

I plan on using my almost one year old Optima Blue top with a new Blue top that I'll pick up after the install.

Anyone forsee a problem using an older battery with a newer one?

Should I use the older battery as the main battery or the Aux battery?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vin
Well my package arrived this morning. If the rain holds out, I'll try installing this weekend.

I plan on using my almost one year old Optima Blue top with a new Blue top that I'll pick up after the install.

Anyone forsee a problem using an older battery with a newer one?

Should I use the older battery as the main battery or the Aux battery?

Unless the batteries are identical and the same age, one will always get a better charge than the other. The one with the lowest internal resistance gets the better charge.

But, I've gotten by with mis-matched batteries and just put up with the uneven charge. It works, just not as well as it should.

When you have an opportunity or an excuse to put in new matched batteries, just do it.

If winching is important, I'd put the best battery on the winch. It takes more power to run the winch than to start the Jeep.

- Bob

Quick Reply: Dual battery set up